Marlin 336 LTS

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Alan Jemmett
Beginner

Marlin 336 LTS

Post by Alan Jemmett »

I have a Marlin LTS in 30-30 and it persitantly mis fires. I have stripped and cleaned the gun, replaced the two piece firing pin and still the problem persists. Yesterday a friend suggested I try some Remington primers ( I have been using CCI) . This seems to have cured the problem or is there a fault which marginalises the guns performance ?

AJ
Scotland
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Failure to ignite primers can sometimes be traced to a weak hammer spring. The Marlin factory or brownells.com sell replacements. Also look for wear marks on the side of the hammer. That would show a poor fit impeding the force of the hammer. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Also the cups on CCI's are harder than other brands. We run into this a lot on CAS guns with lightened springs to make them smoother to operate.Generally, we use Federals to counteract the problem as they have the softest cups. A weak main spring will cause your problem as will hammer contact with the sides of the receiver as Steve mentioned........Buck 8) :roll: :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
Alan Jemmett
Beginner

Marlin 336 LTS

Post by Alan Jemmett »

I have changed the mainspring and checked for clearance each side of the hammer when it is down, symptom is still the same only the gun will always fire second time of asking. I am sure is something to do with the firing pin but as I said before I have renewed both pins and the small connecting flat spring - this is driving me crazy :cry:
Alan Jemmett
Beginner

Marlin LTS 30-30

Post by Alan Jemmett »

Aint it great when you get something fixed that has been bothering you! You may remember I had a problem with a LTS not going bang when it aught to well the problem was a piece of brass swarf from somewhere had manged to wrap itself round the hammer screw - a friend had come over and I described the problem and he said he always approaches a problem by first stripping the gun down to its last bolt and cleaning everything - this we did and found the screw holding the hammer was very tight. With a little freeing oil we got the thing out to find a brass like deposit this was cleaned off and the gun reassembled and she works every time.

Thanks for your help
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks so much for the update Alan! It's not too often that we hear the results of a problem once it's fixed! I'll have to store that info somewhere to keep for future reference!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting the cure to your problem......Buck 8) :roll: :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
Mcbeal
Beginner

Post by Mcbeal »

I can vouch for Four Eyed buck's statement, my.30-30 336CS had been experiencing primer light strikes since last year.

I had checked for problematic resistance, stripped bolt, renewed main spring, and even inserted additional spacer washer with spring, but when even this set up resulted in non firing, I switched from CCI to Federal primers, and the problem is now fixed.

The spacer washer has also been removed from the main spring strut, so I have normal/standard trigger pressure again.

Just thought I'd pass on info for anyone following in my footsteps
'All things considered there are only two kinds of men in the world-
those who stay at home and those who do not'
Rudyard Kipling