marlin xx 22 short

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Artact15
Beginner

marlin xx 22 short

Post by Artact15 »

My great grandpa gave this to my grandfather and he recently just gave it to me. I cant really find much online about these pistols. The serial # is 289 stamped in three places. Id describe it more but i think pics would be better. It has Rosewood grips, and id like to find out as much as i can so when i pass it down the family line i have some solid info on

All my pics are too big and i dont know how to resize em, nickel plated with rosewood grips and engravings on barrel, sideplate and cylinder.
I can email the pics if someone knows how to resize em
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin xx 22 short

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Artact115;

The XX Standard of 1873 was made from 1873 to 1887. The XX Standard was made in two distinct variations. The first variation has a flat sided barrel and full round cylinder. The second variation has a round barrel and a fluted cylinder. The first variation is extremely rare, and only 3 are known. By your serial number, you have a second variation as the first variation was made with serial numbers much higher as they were made with serial numbers falling in behind the first variation of the XXX Standard of 1872.
There are 3 different barrel markings used on the second variation of the XX Standard.
The XX Standard is a .22 Long caliber (not Long Rifle) and not a .22 Short.
To reduce pictures, you have to bring the picture up on your screen, then click onto the edit icon. You will see a resize section. Click on that then reduce the current size to about 25% of current size. If that is still to big, then go back and reduce them to a smaller size, say 15%. Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Artact15
Beginner

Post by Artact15 »

OK i got them resized. I think its in pretty good condition for being about 130 years old. The barrel and cylinder look great and the rifling is there, not too deep, but its there. Any guesses on what it mught be worth? And does the 289 serial number that is stamped under the grip mean this was the 289th made? Also i didnt even think about it being chambered for .22 long. That makes sence as .22 short has just a little more power than my pellet gun lol. I took these pictures after i clened it up a bit with a nylon brush and oil with no solvents in it, im all finished with the cleaning up now. The nickel doesnt seem to be flaking at all but on the right side of the barrel it has blackened a bit. Everything functions as it should and it locks up somewhat tight, tighter than some nib taurses ive handled lol. hopefully these pictures work now

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Artact15;

Very nice, factory engraved XX Standard of 1873. Your XX Standard has what is known as New York style, factory engraving, which adds considerably to the value.
Your gun, with serial number 289 is not the 289th made, but closer to the 3,289 made. "Marlin 1893", this is one case where Marlin did start over with the serial number series, at least 3 times. The barrel marking on the side of the barrel is the first style used on the second variation XX Standards. The rosewood grips were standard, and the factory engraving would have cost from 75 cents to $5.00 additional. A plain XX Standard would have sold for $4.50 when new.
You did a fine job of cleaning your gun, do nothing more, it looks great.
Now as to value, since this is a family piece and you do not have intentions on selling, as they say on the "Antiquies Roadshow", for insurance purposes, it would be worth from $1,000.00 to $1,200.00. If I was going to buy it, I would want to buy it for $800.00 to $900.00 maybe $950.00. Factory engraved XX Standards in the condition your gun is in is a little hard to find, and collectors always want the best guns they can find to add to their collection, and that would make a find addition to any Marlin handgun collection.
Thank you for sharing it with us. If you have any further questions, let us know.......

Artact15
Beginner

Post by Artact15 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Artact15;

Very nice, factory engraved XX Standard of 1873. Your XX Standard has what is known as New York style, factory engraving, which adds considerably to the value.
Your gun, with serial number 289 is not the 289th made, but closer to the 3,289 made. "Marlin 1893", this is one case where Marlin did start over with the serial number series, at least 3 times. The barrel marking on the side of the barrel is the first style used on the second variation XX Standards. The rosewood grips were standard, and the factory engraving would have cost from 75 cents to $5.00 additional. A plain XX Standard would have sold for $4.50 when new.
You did a fine job of cleaning your gun, do nothing more, it looks great.
Now as to value, since this is a family piece and you do not have intentions on selling, as they say on the "Antiquies Roadshow", for insurance purposes, it would be worth from $1,000.00 to $1,200.00. If I was going to buy it, I would want to buy it for $800.00 to $900.00 maybe $950.00. Factory engraved XX Standards in the condition your gun is in is a little hard to find, and collectors always want the best guns they can find to add to their collection, and that would make a find addition to any Marlin handgun collection.
Thank you for sharing it with us. If you have any further questions, let us know.......
Thank you for the info. I was planning on building a shadow box and hanging it on the wall next to an old shotgun i have up already with a pic of my great grandfather, but now knowing its value I think its just going to go in the safe with my other guns. I know that it has been shot with a .22 short in the last year by my grandfather. Do you think it would be ok to put 1 cylinder of .22 short cb's through it with my grandpa so i can take some pictures? The pictures and info found here would go with the gun in the safe and be handed down when the time comes. CB's have no powder in them, its just the primer pushing the bullet out so it is a very very low pressure round. If it is ok then when i pass it down we will do the same thing, 1 cylinder with pictures and all the info that I'm gathering about it will be passed down as well. Thank you for all of your help and knowledge. Without this forum it would have been passed down just as an old gun that your great great grandfather had.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Artact15;

I think it would be okay, but I certainly would check the barrel after each shot to insure the bullet made it out the barrel. Just insert a small dowel ( a 3/16 inch diameter is just right) long enough to reach into the cylinder. If a bullet would not make it out of the barrel, it would prove very hazardous upon firing the next round to you and the gun, and such a pretty little XX Standard would then be lost.
Good luck.........

Artact15
Beginner

Post by Artact15 »

We put 14 rounds through it, 1 cylinder each. i have pics and a video that i'll upload as soon as i get them fro my grandma. I aslo have a picture of the 7 yard target. I cant believe how well this little gun shoots, its like it was made yesterday. It would be awesome if someone made a repo in .22lr, I would definitly buy one.
Artact15
Beginner

Post by Artact15 »

The box i made for it
The target... This was from 7 yards. The D in sharpie was me, the P in sharpie was my pops
Pops and i shooting it
I had a great day hanging out with pops and was very suprised how well this gun shot. The inside of the box lifts out and im placing a memory stick with the pictures on it in there plus some printed pics and the targets. Thanks for all your help with the info guys.
ldebruhl
Beginner

Post by ldebruhl »

That is exactly like my grandpas gun except his serial number is 277. Fascinating, thank you so much.