Marlin Handguns

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dickaye
Marksman

Marlin Handguns

Post by dickaye »

Why did Marlin stop producing handguns and have there been any effort to produce them since the early 1900's? With the popularity on handguns today, one would think Marlin would like to get back into that niche.........
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Handguns

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

During WW I, Marlin acquired the Hopkins and Allen factory to produce maching guns and parts for the war effort. Before the war, H&A produced a number of different handguns, like a single shot target pistol, and a double action revolver called the Safety Police. After WW I ended, the Marlin Firearms Corporation assembles a few of these two models from parts on hand and roll die stamped the barrels with the Marlin Firearms Corportion name. These two models are quite rare and seldom seen. I have a letterhead from Marlin-Rockwell stating that they intended to start making handguns when the war was over, but that never happened under M-R. Apparently the Marlin Firearms Corporation decided to try their hand at making the handguns that M-R talked about, and after assembling a few of each model, changed their minds.
The Kenna family did not like handguns and would never have made them as they wanted to be part of the politically correct crowd even though they did make firearms along with their other endevors in the area around New Haven and North Haven, Ct.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
guardian_120
Beginner

Post by guardian_120 »

I have in my possion 1 JM Marlin 5 shot revolver ... USA pat date July 1, 1873. .30 Cal. It is in working condition and I was curious as to its value and if there is a market for this handgun or are there specific collectors..... Thank you for your time and concern in helping me with this matter.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Guardian_120;

If your XXX Standard revolver of 1872 has USA in the barrel address on the side of the barrel, it is a third (3rd) variation. It can be either a short cylinder or a long cylinder version. These do have collector value, and depending upon the overall condition be worth quite a bit. Condition is the dictating factor in regards to price, and without knowing the condition, there is no way of estimating the value at this time.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.