The proud owner of 3 Marlin 1887 Revolvers

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

coltsixguns1959
Beginner

The proud owner of 3 Marlin 1887 Revolvers

Post by coltsixguns1959 »

Little John's auction in CA this past week had some Marlin revolvers in it and I was able to get 3 of them.

Is there any way to factory letter these?

All 1887 models with 38 caliber.

One nickel
One blue
One nickel with pearls and engraving

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: The proud owner of 3 Marlin 1887 Revolvers

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Coltsixguns1959;

So......you're the one! Just kiddng. You have a nice selection of Double Action Revolvers of 1887. The first one is a first variation that utilized the John Marlin patented ejector system. The other two utilize the David Hall Rice patented ejector system or second variation. You can tell the difference by the small screw just above the hinge screw. Another give-a-way is the monogram (MFCo in circle) style grips vs. the sunburst style of grip that has MFCo in the straight line at the top of the grip. The first variation lasted about for the first 2,300 guns without looking at my notes. Then all made after that had the second variation system.
There are no records on any of the Marlin handguns. We know from observations of known serial numbers, a little over 15,000 of the D.A. of 1887 was made during the production run between 1887 and 1899.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
coltsixguns1959
Beginner

I never new Marlin made a hand gun and I found them reasonable.....with the BP I have less than $750 in the engraved one and $375 to $425 in the others.

I came within $200 of buying a nice little 1894 factory engraved short rifle....I bid up to $2800 and the winning bid was $3000. I probably should have went a little more but the 18% BP was costly!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Coltsixguns1959;

BP = Buyers penalty! They penalize you for buying at their auction. That is what slowed me down on the engraved D.A. with the ivory grips. You got a good deal on that engraved gun you got. My problem is that I bought five guns at the Denver show the weekend prior to the auction and just did not have enough to go on higher.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
coltsixguns1959
Beginner

BP might be a buyer's penalty but folks sure were paying plenty for what I saw going! :D

Luckily I was able to sit down beforehand and figure the max I wanted to put into my bids and then deducted the BP and that was my bid...if it went for a penny more then I just didn't chase it. I came within an inch of buying a factory engraved colt prewar single action but it was only 2 of us in the race at the end and it crossed my comfort level so I had to see it go much to my displeasure. :(
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Coltsixguns1959;

Congrats, you got 3 fine Marlins! I bid on a few in that auction but they went a little high for me, I also bid on that 1894, i think it sold at a good price.

Clark