Marlin "1st Model" Derringer Serial # 205

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

sch1234
Beginner

Marlin "1st Model" Derringer Serial # 205

Post by sch1234 »

My neighbor asked me to see if I could get any info on this little pistol he has.

It's been in his family for decades, he was told that his grandfather was given it as payment for services during the great depression.

From what he has been able to gather, it is a "1st model" derringer-style Marlin single shot 22. Is marked with J.M. Marlin Newhaven, CT on the top of the barrel, and serial number 205 on the bottom of the barrel.

I am attaching photos. The ones of the paperwork are photos of documentation he was sent from marlin a while back.

He is wondering how rare it is, and what it's approximate current value may be.

Thank you in advance.

Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Marlin "1st Model" Derringer Serial # 205

Post by Brent »

$500-600 would be my guess as to value.

These guys always have a bunch of small derringer-type pistols for sale including a handful of Marlins similar to this one.

http://www.a-gun.com/default.cfm
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sch1234;

The proper name for the "1st Model" Marlin derringer is the Marlin Vest Pocket. I have a couple of advertising pieces from the 1870's showing this derringer as the Marlin Vest Pocket. The standard finish on the Vest Pocket was a silver plated frame and blued barrel. It sold for $2.00 in 1874. In 1874, a full nickeled Vest Pocket sold for $2.20, and if you wanted it nickeled and engraved, it cost $2.60. Most grips were of rosewood, but there are examples out there with ivory grips.
It is estimated that about 5,000 of the Vest Pockets derringers were made, but it is only an estimate as no records exist.
It appears that this Vest Pocket was a standard version with a silver plated frame and blue barrel. The silver is long gone, but if you remove the grips, you may see traces of the silver there.
Brent is pretty close on the value, but since the Vest Pocket was Marlin's first production gun, some may bring a little more, especially if it is an engraved one. Engraved examples are extremely rare and do bring a premium.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sch1234
Beginner

Post by sch1234 »

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Would have replied sooner but I never got any notification emails about replies.

Thanks again.

Steve