Marlin Model 94 mfg date and value.

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Swish88

Marlin Model 94 mfg date and value.

Post by Swish88 »

I have a Marlin Model 94 that I would like some info on. How old is it? Is it rare? and whats the value? On a scale of 1-10, I would rate it an 8-9.

Its a 24" oct barrel. Serial # is 5552. Top of barrel says "Marlin Fire-Arms Co. New Haven, CT, USA Patented Oct 11, 1887 April 2, 1889 August 1, 1893". There is a star by the Model 94 stamp. No bullseye that I can see on the bottom of the stock. On the barrel between the rear site and the hammer says 38-40.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 94 mfg date and value.

Post by Parley Baer »

Is the serial number under the lever?

How old is it? Well that is a good question. We have a data base going on the Model 94 and some patterns are starting to develop. For one thing the serial numbers from say 1 to 1821 are very consistant and orderly. Then there is one at 2662, two at 400X and 4002 and then the numbers jump to the 5500 range and go up from there. Then there are some with a B prefix and a D prefix.

So I'm thinking that the numbers from 1 to 1821 were made by the Marlin Firearms Corporation in the 1921-1924 period. I'm thinking that those in the 5500 and up range were made by the new Marlin Firearms Company beginning in 1926 or later to 1935. Those with the B and D prefix I assume were later in the 1926-1935 era say 1930-1935. So I would think yours was made sometime around 1926 or later but probably before 1930. This is just pure speculation on my part.

Is it rare? I would say they are scarce as it appears there were maybe 3-4000 Model 94's at most made between 1921 and 1935. As time goes by we will get a better picture of how many were made.

Whats the value? That is hard to say without seein the rifle in person. Your best bet is to watch the auction sites and see what rifles such as yours are selling for.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Swish88

Re: Marlin Model 94 mfg date and value.

Post by Swish88 »

Thank you for your time. I learned alot right there. I was told it was my Grandpa's fathers gun. My grandpa is 85 now. I think it two new for that with your comments.

Thanks again.

If anyone else has some info, please post. Thanks.