Marlin 1887

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
JoeP

Marlin 1887

Post by JoeP »

Hello All!
Just Inherited a few guns from a 92 Year old relative, including a Beautifully kept Marlin 1887 rifle, serial Number 209XX. Top eject, with probably 80% of the original blueing intact. I know you guys hear that a lot, so I took about 12 pictures in outdoor light today. I would just like an opinion from someone who knows these guns as to condition, rarity etc. It's chambered in .38W, top eject, and really shows little sign of usage. The relative said it was HIS grandfathers, and it has been hanging in his home in the same spot on the wall for over 50 years! It had dust on it obviously, so I just lightly wiped it with a cotton cloth with a little Aerokoil, and lightly wiped the wood with a small shot of guardsman no silicone polish. You can see the dust around the sight in the pictures, but I didn't want to really clean it in any way until I spoke with someone. I don't know how to post pictures here, so If someone would help me do that as well, that would be great!

Joe (Mrfavasham@aol.com) :D
Road King
Expert

Re: Marlin 1887

Post by Road King »

Hi Joe, be glad to help post the photos for you if you can't do them yourself. Send them to my e-mail address bwatson0568@rogers.com
I did a post a while back on how to post photos using Photobucket.com instructions in this thread http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... 15&t=20951
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here are the photos of JoeP's Model 1888 Marlin.

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

JoeP;

Very nice Marlin Model 1888. The Model 1888 was made from August of 1888 to October of 1889 with just over 4,800 guns of that model listed in the old factory records. Of those, 1,776 were in the .38-40 caliber like yours, and the majority, 4,312 had 24 inch barrels.
I cannot see the entire serial number, but what I can see indicates that your rifle was made in either late 1888 or very early 1889.
Your gun is one of the nicest Model 1888's I have seen, and it really only needs a good cleaning to get rid of the "crud" built up around areas like the front and rear sights. Overall, you have pretty much done the right thing with a light oil on the metal. The varnish on the wood is the protectorate, and needs nothing to help it. I have seen way to many guns almost ruined by someone putting gun oil on the wood. If there is good finish on the wood, then that is all that is necessary. That is why gunmakers put the varnish on the wood. If the finish is a little weak, then a good paste wax may be in order to help protect the wood, but not gun oil.
If you have other questions, I am sure someone will be here to help.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.