No.32 standard 1875 - Gold Plated

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
old gold
Beginner

No.32 standard 1875 - Gold Plated

Post by old gold »

Hi Everyone - I am new to this site and would like some help with my No.32 Standard 1875 by J.M.Marlin. The left side of the barrel reads., 'J.M.Marlin.New Haven CT.USA.PAT July 1 1873. It is 'gold plated' with pearl handles. t has engraved floral art work. The gun is in great condition (nice and tight - for it's age) and very eye appealing. It has been fired (not often)in the past but I have not fired it. The number stamped on 'all' appropriate locations is.., "1". Do I have something special here? And how could I research the 'historical' ownership? Any help would be much appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: No.32 standard 1875 - Gold Plated

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Old Gold;

Sounds like you have found a pretty nice Marlin handgun. It would be interesting to see pictures of it. Marlin did offer factory applied engraving, the gold plating and the mother of pearl grips on most of the production handguns. Of course, it was at an extra cost. For instance, the pearl grips for a No. 32 Standard cost an extra $1.33 in 1882. The engraving was additional from 75 cents and up from there. The gold plating would have been an approximately an additional $3.50. The cost of a standard No. 32 Standard was about $6.00. So, adding the additional items of the pearl grips and gold plating, the cost was $10.83 not including the cost of the engraving. From research I have done, the average engraving cost was around $1.75, so if we use that figure, your standard gun that did cost $6.00 is now more than double at $12.58. Someone wanted a show piece to spend that amount of money in those days when they could have had a "plain" gun for half the cost. The fact that your gun appears to be serial number 1 indicates that Marlin wanted to make the "first" No. 32 Standard a good one.
The No. 32 Standard was made from 1875 to 1887. There are a couple of variations, one having a short cylinder whereas the gun could shoot only the .32 short cartridge, and a longer cylinder that could shoot either the .32 short or the .32 long cartridge.
If everything is original to the gun, then you do have something there, being serial number 1, with all the extra features applied to it. The only thing that would have made it better is if it were in a "case" made to fit the gun.
Researching it's past it about impossible. Unless the person you got if from knows it's history, or unless there is a name engraved on the gun, then you are pretty much out of luck. There are no factory records for the Marlin pistols.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
old gold
Beginner

Post by old gold »

Thank you so much 'gunrunner'! I have good pictures, but I'm trying to see where on this site I can upload them for you and all to see. Help?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Old Gold;

There is a post in this section (Guest Section) titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand". Go to that post and you will find the instructions by Road King for posting photographs.
I am anxious to see your photographs of your No. 32 Standard of 1875.

Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here are the photos for old gold. Let me be the first to say...WOW :mrgreen:

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Old Gold;

Very nice. I am seeing things I would want to see on such a piece if I were buying it. I see some staining on the back of the barrel which indicates the gun has been fired as you stated. If the gun was plated at a later date, there might not be such staining. As to serial number 1, now we need to figure out if it is the first #1 or the second #1, No. 32 Standard made. By the way, you have a .32 short caliber gun. To tell the difference, we need to know if the marking on the side of the barrel measures 1 7/8 (2nd series barrel marking) or if it measures 1 5/8 (3rd series barrel marking) inches in length.
I see a line of gold around the bottom of the grip. Are the grips serial numbered to the gun? At the time, Marlin scratched the serial number into mother of pearl grips, and there should be a series of "notches" on the inside of the frame, at the top that fits into a groove in the back side of the grips. These notches and groove keep the grips from moving on the frame grip.
The engraving is quite typical of what is seen on most No. 32 Standards. One thing I do see that is interesting is the blued trigger. I have a full gold wash XX Standard of 1873 (.22 caliber gun) and the trigger on it is gold plated. As on your gun, the screws are blued. My gun is an earlier gun (1st series barrel marking), and that may be the difference in the treatment of the trigger.
I would say you have a very nice piece there. Congratulations!!

old gold
Beginner

Post by old gold »

Thanks again 'gunrunner' and thank you very much 'road king' for posting my pictures. Ok., the markings on the left side of the barrel are 1 /78 long and yes, the handle has the notches on top underneath the pearl grips. My eyes are not what they used to be, so I'm having a little trouble trying to see if there is a serial # on the underside of the pearl grips. I took some more pictures for you and I will send them to road king.

Again., Thank You both for all your help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Old Gold;

Since your barrel marking is 1 7/8" in length, that would make your serial number 1, the first No. 32 Standard made for the short cartridge. With the "notches", your gun was made for either ivory or mother of pearl grips, so most likely the grips are original. Considering the overall condition, I would have very little doubt that the grips are the ones installed when the gun was new.
Cannot wait to see the additional photos..........

old gold
Beginner

Post by old gold »

gunrunner - thanks again and I just sent the photos. The gun case you see is brand new. I had it custom made with a company out of Richmond, VA. I purchased the pistol 5 weeks ago. I did not discover the serial # until I got it home. After you see the additional photos., I was wondering if you could give me a idea of it's approximate retail value? And again, thank you much.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here are the additional photos

Road King
old gold
Beginner

Post by old gold »

Road King - Thank you., thank you VERY much!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Old Gold;

I have not been ignoring your question regarding a value of this Marlin pistol. I am always reluctant to price another persons item if I cannot actually handle the item. Sometimes things show up in person that do not always show in the pictures or may look different in person. Another reason I am reluctant to give an estimation is that I, personally do not put a lot of value on serial numbers. After all, this is not the only serial number 1 Marlin Standard revolver. There are other serial number 1 Standard revolvers. Now if this was serial number 1, 1st variation of the XXX Standard of 1872, I might get a little excited since that would be the very first Standard revolver made by Marlin.
I could tell you what I paid for my XX Standard, full gold wash, ivory grips and in the original rosewood, French style fitted case. And, I could tell you what I paid for a No. 32 Standard, engraved by the master Louis D. Nimschke with checkered mother of pearl grips (the only Marlin I have ever seen with checkered pearl grips) last year, but it might be a little discouraging to you. I bought one from a national dealer at the Tulsa gun show, and the other from a friend dispersing his collection. If interested in that, let me know and I will email you.

old gold
Beginner

Post by old gold »

gunrunner - Thank you for responding. Though I am a buyer/seller of 'vintage collectables', this is the first gun I have ever purchased (other than BB guns as a kid). Though I do own a shotgun my Father left me when he died - for home protection. I am not educated enough about guns to place a price on it. Heck., when I purchased it, I thought it was a 'replica' - for the price I paid ( I have the receipt). And the seller told me he was not into guns and did not really know anything about it. Now that I have learned what I have (thanks to you folks), it is obvious that he did not perform any research on it. I'm not even sure if I would want to sell it.., yet. It just looks sooooo darn good sitting on my desk. So.., I am taking your response as., "whatever the collector market would bear". I have a U.S. Eagle small Cent coin like that. Though I have been offered a fair amount of money for it (the coin), it has yet to be enough for me to part with it.

Thanks again for everything and have a great & prosperous year. I assure you that I will be referring this site to many other people when I tell my story of how I acquired the pistol. But I do believe that this has been my best 'score' ever., other than the coin.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Old Gold;

Glad to have been of help. This is what this website if for, helping other people gain knowledge in Marlin firearms. Should you ever need anything else, please feel free to come back and post your inquiry.

Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Is there any indication as to who may have did the engraving in this time period?
Road King