Marlin Safety 22

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
wbuehrle
Beginner

Marlin Safety 22

Post by wbuehrle »

I have a Marlin Safety serial # 54237 with pat. dates of Nov 19, 1878, Apr. 2, 1889 & Aug 12, 1890. Has a round barrel. Am wondering the age and if sold, what would be a reasonable price. Interested in selling. Senior living place don't allow guns.

Bill
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Safety 22

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bill;

Those patent dates indicate you have a 1st variation of the Model 1891, commonly referred to as the sideloading Model 1891. These are quite desirable to collectors as that variation was only made for one year, with an estimated production of about 5,000 guns. Your rifle was shipped in mid-1891 with a 24 inch round barrel.
Value of any antique firearm is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these conditions, it is not possible to give an accurate estimation of value at this time. I can tell you that guns of this variation in average condition will bring in excess of $1,000.00 and the better the condition, the higher the value.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
wbuehrle
Beginner

Post by wbuehrle »

Thanks for the favorable reply. The condition is very good. The stock looks like the original finish with no scratches. The barrel has no worn spots nor rust. Is there a process for which I can follow on this forum to offer this rifle for sale on this site? Never done this before so your talking to a beginner even though I'm in my 80's. Again, I appreciate your input.

Blessings,

Bill
573-635-0125
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bill;

There is a "FOR SALE" section to this site. But, people expect to see pictures of the item in question at some time. Have someone with a digital camera take some very good photos, preferably outside in natural light so they can see the actual condition of the rifle. When someone contacts you about the gun, you can then send them digital photos through email.
There is a way to post pictures on the website and you can find instructions in this section (NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS" ) in a post by Road King about posting photos.
But before you make the for sale listing, are you sure no one in your family would want the rifle? Family members should always get first crack if this is a family piece.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.