Marlin Model 50 semi-auto 22

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Macymarlin

Marlin Model 50 semi-auto 22

Post by Macymarlin »

I picked up an older Marlin at the gun show today. It does not have a model number on it anywhere, but looks just like the Model 50 in Brophy's book. However, it does not have the markings shown in the book.

The barrel is stamped -
The Marlin Fireams Corporation
New Haven, Conn, U.S.A.- Patented

22 Long Rifle Only - Smokeless Greased

Does anyone have any additional information about this firearm?

Thanks
Cathy
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If it is stamped "smokeless - greased", it's a model A-1. The model 50 had no such marking.

The 1st variation A-1 was made from 1936 to 1940. The 2nd variation was made from 1941 to 1946 - except during the war. The second variation differs from the first by having a wider fore arm to the stock and a fluted comb. A stamped metal trigger guard shows one made early on. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!

Post by Guest »

I didn't think it could be the A1 for these reasons. The book says that fires from a closed bolt position, and we told by the owner that this one fires from an open bolt. Have not shot it yet, but plan to after my husband gets back from town.

The schematic for the A1 show the trigger guard and magazine receiver are two separate pieces. On the 50 (and this gun) they are in one piece. The stock also has the grove shown in the picture of the 50.

However I did find the part in the book about the stampings.

My husband just got home, I'll let you know what we find from shooting it.

Thanks for your help.

Cathy
Macymarlin

Post by Macymarlin »

Just got in from shooting - sure is nice having range in the back yard.

I'm pleased to say it is quite accurate. And it does fire from an open bolt position.

Sure is strange - it's got the markings of the A1 - but the guts and stock of the 50.

BTW- we paid $150 for it.

Cathy
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

No question - it's a model 50. Rebarreled at some point with what was at hand - a model A-1 barrel.

You were lucky to find one with magazine intact; they are often missing and very hard to find. Not to mention expensive. SW
Macymarlin

Post by Macymarlin »

Thanks for you help.

I've got several Marlin 22's, but this is the oldest one I've got.

I'm fortunate to have a husband that encourages me in my collecting.

Cathy
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If you ever see another magazine for it & it's priced in the 50 dollar range, BUY IT!!! SW
thegriz
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 50 semi-auto 22

Post by thegriz »

What you have is a 50 but it is a late version of the 50. I have 6 of them and there are several versions. Apparently they made a lot of changes during their short production life. I have one exactly like the one you show as well as one like it in all ways except with a different mag retention method. Good find at an excellent price. I just saw a mag sell for over $200. Good shooting.

Post by Guest »

I have one of the rifles inquestion but it does not have patened on it, instead it says Patent pending and no model numbers. I haev been trying to pin its date of manufacture down. It appears it may be a prototype or very early model. It is almost identical to the one you have otherwise. If anyone has any other info I would be interested in hearing about it. My E-Mail address is dieseljuice@yahoo.com
tonk54
Beginner

Post by tonk54 »

I have a model 50 that was in my dads shed....Rusty and tired. Cleanded up very well. It had no clip (surprise) but I recently found one on gunbroker and bought it for...$82.00. Yes, $82.00 and I consider myself lucky to have found it. I would appreciate any source of info on this gun.

Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tonk54;

The Marlin Model 50, semi-automatic rifle was made from 1931 to 1935. It was the only Marlin semi-automatic rifle to fire from an "open bolt".
The Model 50 has been discussed on different posts here, so you may want to do a search for "Model 50" to see what other information you can find.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
foxzrockin

Post by foxzrockin »

I have one exactly like it except the bolt that disassembles the gun is in front of the 7 rnd clip and i think mine is an a1 the model is not on it like yours but i've been searching the internet since i got it.
thegriz
Beginner

Post by thegriz »

The key to determining the 50 from the A1 is the position of the bolt when the gun fires and the location of the safety. If it fires from an open bolt it is a 50. All of them I have seen have the safety on the left side. The A1 fires from a closed bolt and all that I have seen have a safety at the rear of the receiver. The A1 uses the mag that Marlin used on the model 80 and other versions into the 1960s. There were several changes in the 50 during its life. There were different markings and at least two different mags and mag retention methods location of the takedown screw changed also. All 50s I know of fire from an oprn bolt.
certi70@yahoo.com

Post by certi70@yahoo.com »

I have 1 just like the 1 in the pic but mine has the bolt that hold the barrel in front of the trigger & clip gaurd + the release 4 the clip mounts on the barrel not the clip gaurd and of course no clip, safty or rear sight. the sight is easy to find but the safty and clip r going to be hard if anyone knows where i can get 1 contact me at certi70@yahoo.com