Marlin? Ranger Model 34A .22 Rifle

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin? Ranger Model 34A .22 Rifle

Post by Sure-Shot »

Great work wish I had the tools and skills to do that type of work. Let us know how it works when you get it all put togeather.
GBOT, GBUSA
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Sure-Shot,

The weather was very nice here in Michigan this afternoon in my area,50 degrees,so I took the 34A/A1 out for a little fun. Fed rounds into it one at a time,still no magazine,and did a little target work. WOW,this old girl will shoot as close as my 52 year old eyes can hold the open sights. At another time I'll try some different brands and bullet weights of .22 LR and see what it really likes. Still no extractor,but the cases came out fine.

tigweld
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

In looking around on the internet I found another possible source for Marlin A1 parts.
(http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/auto.htm). Thought there might be some other
folks also missing these small parts.
Also met another fellow online from the Marlin Collectors site who has two A1's.One
is a Marlin,the other is a Gambles Model A130. He was kind enough to send me some
photos and the Gambles rifle is a twin to my Ranger 34A.
thegriz
Beginner

Post by thegriz »

Tigweld
Hi, i have a collection of sorts of Marlin model 50 and 50E rifles (5) and I also have one marked Ranger 34A like yours. I have found there are several versions of these old guns. Some of my 50's have different barrel markings and some even have different style trigger guards take down screw locations and mag retention methods. The 34A Ranger I have is a 50E just marked Ranger. Yours looks like a A1 because of the safety but the way it operates determines if it is a clone of the 50's or the A1. The 50's shoot from an open bolt and the A1 shoots from a closed bolt. If you pull the bolt back and it locks back then releases when you pull the trigger it is the open bolt 50 style. If the bolt closes after you pull it back and release it then fires while closed it is a clone of the A1. If yours is like the A1 a mag is fairley easy to get if it is the 50 the mags are very hard to find and $75 or $100 if you are lucky enough to find one.Hope this helps.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

thegriz
Hello,yes this is an A1clone as it does fire from a closed bolt. I have seen a Model 50 on
the GunBroker.com site and the family resemblance between both rifles. As far as a clip
for this A1 version,I have found that the "old style" Marlin 7 shot clip for the models: 780,
25,80 etc. will work with a minor modification to the clip. The fellow who owns the 2 A1's
that I mentioned in a earlier post told me of this. I'll post a photo sometime soon of the
modification. You told of you're small collection of Model 50's ,I guess I am doing the same
with A1's. Bought another one myself,an actual Marlin A1,but that was not enough. I now
have 3 A1 stocks and an extra A1 barrel. Safe to say the "MARLIN" bug is catching. :wink:
Ruleofthirds

Post by Ruleofthirds »

I just recently pulled out what appears to be an A1 and has identical characteristics to the photos posted previously. I am missing a clip also. I have very little gun knowledge and would like to know where I could find a magazine to get this thing firing. Mine appears to be in much better conditioning than the photos by tigweld, how much is it worth? I'm in Michigan also, anyone interested in this gun?
bantam9
Beginner

Post by bantam9 »

Tigweld,
I have an A-1, but no parts. Just picked up the rifle from a gunshop with smithing service, who held the gun for 2 yrs. With no parts to be found the smith was unable to do anything with it.
I am in need of a bolt handle, and well as some work to the mechanism which "resets" the trigger. After shooting a single round, the trigger will not reset to fire again. My A-1 will fire one round placed in the barrel by hand, but like most here i have no clip. Out ,say 3 individual single shots, only one will be ejected cleanly, the other 2 will stovepipe. Not sure if this is an ammo problem or extractor issue.

My question is:
Would you be willing to make a bolt handle, or give the specs to the one you made?
Would you post the modifications of a newer marlin clip which would work in the A-1 as you have mentioned in earlier post?

Really hitting a wall trying to get this gun back to working order. Actually found this gun in the wall of an old summer house, and I'm intriqued by it. It is accurate when shot, but with no bolt handle, no clip, and no reset of the trigger for follow up shots, I'm stumped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
If you can help-Please let me know.

bantam9
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Bantam9,
I'll be glad to help you out what I can on your project. I'll see if I might have a extra bolt handle laying around or make up one for you. The magazine modification is on this site. Will see if I can find the link address and post it for you. Will also try and solve the action/trigger problem. Would be nice to have another A1 back in shooting condition. :)
jtkingair
Beginner

Post by jtkingair »

Hi Tigweld,
Newbie to the site! Love it so far, tons of good info. Any chance you have a drawing or demensions of your breech bolt handle? I'm in the process of restoring my Grandfathers rifle and need a bolt handle. I have access to a couple friends that are machinists that would make me the part, I just need some good demensions to give to them.
Nice job on your Ranger! Thanks for any info you can give me
Jtkingair
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Jtkingair,
Welcome to the site. You and Bantam9 have asked for some dimensions on the A1/34A bolt handle, so I'll see what I can draw up for you fellows. Perhaps have some photos included too.
jtkingair
Beginner

Post by jtkingair »

Hey tigweld,
Good news, I was able to find a bolt handle from JackFirstgun.com. A stroke of good luck!! That means I can start restoring my A1. I wanted to thank you for the reply and also the picture tutorial on the extractor removal, that should save me quite a bit of time. I was lucky in the fact that, even with the bolt handle missing I have all the other other parts associated with the extractor ( bolt handle plunger, spring and extractor). After a little inspection, I decided to order a new bolt handle plunger, as the original looks quite worn.
Once again, thanks, and I'll post pics later.
jtkingair a.k.a.-Jeff
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Glad to be of some help on your project. Will be looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get your rifle done.:)

I have a A1 project in the works,but a little to busy at work right now to work on it. I guess I'll call it my "garbage can" A1 rifle. This rifle I'm building up from A1 parts I've collected over the last few years.