Collectors Firearms License

Other discussions not necessarily relating to guns

Moderator: Moderators

dickaye
Marksman

Collectors Firearms License

Post by dickaye »

I have been reading about Federal Firearms licensing and I am wondering if there was any advantage to a collector of antique pre 1899 firearms having a "collectors license." I got confused with C/R verses Antique, but I believe I have that straight in my head now. So my question is: Is there any limit to the number of antique firearms that I could sell per year? If I was going to be a "dealer" of C/R firearms I would need a firearms dealer license just like any other firearms dealer, but am I correct in stating that a dealer in "antique firearms" needs no license? I really don't plan to become a dealer, but I do have a few guns to sell and I want to be safe. I have a cousin who almost ended up in federal prison for what I think was selling too many guns in one year. So besides wondering if there is any advantage to having a collectors license, is there a "number of antique gun sales" that turns you into a dealer?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Collectors Firearms License

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

There are no restrictions on selling antique firearms other than the manufacturing date. You can sell your entire collection in one year if you wish without the Feds bothering you. Private individuals are allowed to sell their personal collection without paperwork. Where most people who do not have a license get into trouble is going to a gun show, buying a gun there, then turning around at the same show and sell it. Then, the Feds believe you are "in the business" and want to know about it. I know of a couple of national dealers that do not have a license and sell lots of guns, they just to not buy and sell a gun at the same show. They cannot ship a "firearm" directly either, they would have to ship to a dealer to transfer to the buyer.
A C&R lets you buy most types of firearm older than 50 years (certain restrictions do apply) and have it shipped to you without going through a licensed FFL dealer. You do have to maintain records of purchases and sales for the Feds. There are advantages to having a C&R, and I have been thinking about getting one. A friend of mine suggested setting up an LLC to acquire the license, then the LLC could later sell the gun to me. I would no longer be in "the picture" as far as the Feds are concerned as the LLC is the seller and no longer owns anything. It was a little complicated at first, but does make sense to do it that way.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Rick,

Let me get this straight. If I sell an "pre 99" I cannot ship directly to the buyer?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Richard;

If it is an antique, you can ship it to the buyer. Just be sure it is a true antique. There are no restrictions on antiques, just C&R firearms and real firearms.
You can have a C&R firearm shipped to you if you have a C&R license and you can ship a C&R firearm to another C&R and FFL license holder. A real firearm must go through an FFL holder. There are those that sell firearms that do not have an FFL, but ship to a FFL license holder for the buyer to go to in order to receive the firearm. Then the FFL holder must have the buyer fill out the FFL form and transfer the firearm to the buyer.

dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Rick,

If I were you, I would worry that the LLC could be viewed by the Feds as a gimick or technicality and that you should be someone to be watched........
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Richard;

I am not rushing into anything, maybe wait another 4 years or so..............if you know what I mean!