How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gofast;

The Glenfield guns were not made for any particular store. Stores such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Montgomery Wards and Sears, Roebuck and Company all sold Glenfield products. About the only way to determine which store sold a particular guns would be through factory records as they must be maintained. Marlin does not offer that information to the public at this time.
The Glenfield products were the same action as the regular Marlin line, but Marlin used a walnut stained hardwood (usually birch) for the stock instead of walnut as used on the first line guns. Otherwise, they are the same gun.
I hope this helps.
gofast
Beginner

Thank you!

Post by gofast »

Regnier,

Thank you for your help. You cleared up my confusion.
Limeyfellow
Beginner

Re: Marlin Glenfield Model 60

Post by Limeyfellow »

gofast wrote:I received a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 with serial #70178817. I know it was made in 1970 and I have read that the Glenfield name indicates it was made for a chain or mass-merchandise store. Is there any way to determine exactly what store based on the serial number? I guess I am confused about the difference between a regular Marlin and a Marlin Glenfield that were both made in the same year. Any info on this gun would be greatly appreciated.
The basic difference is the wood the stock is made from. The Glenfield doesn't have the walnut stock and have different carvings on it. My Marlin Glenfield 60 is built a year after your but theres no real way to tell which store its from (this one I believe is from Kmart is my wife's memory holds true bought by her father.) They were sold out at Kmart, Sears and a few other places and just all mixed in so unless you can find the receipt theres not much you can do about finding the store it was built in.
krazyfive
Beginner

Post by krazyfive »

I have a Model 39A .22 the serial is P218xx

anyone know a year, or can point me in the right direction?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Krazyfive;

A Marlin Model 39-A with a "P" serial number prefix was manufactured in 1957.
I hope this helps.
krazyfive
Beginner

Post by krazyfive »

absolutely, thanks alot.
actionsportsaz
Beginner

Post by actionsportsaz »

WHat about the 39 series that have 4-digit serial numbers with no prefix? Are those made before 1946? Any way to date them by serial number?
Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Actionsportsaz;

You said Model 39, do mean Model 39 or Model 39-A? The Model 39-A came out in 1939 and some of those early guns will not have a letter prefix. There are some guns that have an "A" (1939)and "B" (1940) serial number prefix, but they are scarce and not seen very often.
If you are talking about the Model 39 with no letter prefix, then it would have been made sometime between 1921 and 1925. There are no records, so we can only estimate when it was manufactured by the serial number.
I hope this helps.
ANNIE OAKLEY
Beginner

Marlin 36RC

Post by ANNIE OAKLEY »

I have purchaced a marlin 36RC #D17XX . Do you know any information for this gun? Year , what RC means ?? The value?
Stan Vogt
Beginner

Post by Stan Vogt »

Serial number system doesn't compute. Subtracting 00 fom 100 equals 100. Rifle had to have been make between 1988-1995. first two digit range would have to be 12-5.
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Double zero would be 2000 I think. Its not really subtracted from 100 but rather 2000. If the first 2 digits were 18 it would be 1982. Its just easier on the brain to subtract from 100 & come up with 82.

Annie,
RC means "Regular Carbine"
A "D" prefix would be 1947 I believe. They seem to bring between 3 & 5 hundred or so.
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
Pete44ru
Marksman

Re: How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Post by Pete44ru »

BTT
jackrat
Beginner

Post by jackrat »

Nice to see list years of manufacture . I have a 39a mounte serial no starting with the letter p . I did not see a P on the list ,wondering what's up??
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jackrat;

The letter "P" is for 1957. I have corrected the list to reflect that.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
StanTN
Beginner

Post by StanTN »

Okay guys, I need a little help here. The info provided has been great, but doesn't quite answer my issue. Looking at buying a Marlin .22 Lever. The serial # is under the lever (G 12974). The G tells me, based on previous posts, the manufacture date is 1950. However if I look up just the number, I get 1886. The weapon appears to be a lot older that 58 years. Hard to explain here, but it's the "style" that makes me think older. Style of the bluing and look of the wood. There's not a speck of rust; so it wasn't left outside and it's been maintained well - shoots great. In the serial number, the G and 129xx are not together. The G is left of the number, but separated like it's not really part of the same. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Stan