How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Re: How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Post by Don Anderson »

StanTN:

The serial numbering system can become confusing if one isn't familiar with it. Your "G" prefix .22 is a 1950 production rifle. Where you are going astray in determining the date, is to remember that if there is a letter prefix in the serial number, the leter is what determines the year of manufacture, not the first two numbers. After the letter prefix sequence ends, then the first two numbers begin to figure in determining the year. Clear as mud?

Don
Screaming Eagle
Beginner

Post by Screaming Eagle »

I've got an 1894C (5 or S can't tell) .357 with an 18.5" barrel. The serial number begins with 1602XXXX. Am I to assume that it was made in 1984? It's got a safety button. Thanks for your help.
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Screaming Eagle:

You can assume it was made in 1984 and you'd be assuming correctly.

Don
denlin1950
Beginner

Post by denlin1950 »

My 30-30 Marlin 336A has #a-est-1870 is on the rifle. I would like to know when this rifle was made. Can you help me?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Denlin1950;

We will need the serial number to determine when your rifle was made. If there is a letter or letters to the prefix, just post that letter. If there are no letters in the serial number, then post just the first two digits of the serial number.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

BTT
Joekewl_Chevyfreak
Beginner

Post by Joekewl_Chevyfreak »

I inherited a Marlin 30-30 from my dad who recently passed away and i was curious as to running the serial number, it is 24179716 could you tell me what year the rifle is and any other possible imformation about it?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Joekewl_Chevyfreak wrote:I inherited a Marlin 30-30 from my dad who recently passed away and i was curious as to running the serial number, it is 24179716 could you tell me what year the rifle is and any other possible imformation about it?
The model designation should be marked on the barrel. From the serial number and caliber I'd guess it is a 336 of some sort, and should date to 1976.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

BTT 8)
goldbar
Beginner

Post by goldbar »

i need some help, i just bought a 30-30 marlin lever action side discharge, mod-30AS cant find ser. num. no it hasnt been filed first thing i checked. need to find the age of it. thanks for the help i need alot of it
Mike1951
Beginner

Post by Mike1951 »

I have a model 60SS with serial number 92421***. I bought it new in April 2009, over a year after the sale to Remington.

It clearly does not fit the model that beginning in 2000, the first two digits represent the year. Nor does the serial number begin with MM, as I've seen attributed to Remlins.

The only explanation that might fit is that Marlin must have reverted to the previous system of subtracting from 100, which would yield a born date of 2008.

Can anyone enlighten me?

If it is 2008, it would have been made during the Remington era, but is there a serial number break for the point when manufacturing processes/quality control would have been affected?

Mike
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

goldbar wrote:i need some help, i just bought a 30-30 marlin lever action side discharge, mod-30AS cant find ser. num. no it hasnt been filed first thing i checked. need to find the age of it. thanks for the help i need alot of it
Either under the lever or on the top tang.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Mike1951 wrote:I have a model 60SS with serial number 92421***. I bought it new in April 2009, over a year after the sale to Remington.

It clearly does not fit the model that beginning in 2000, the first two digits represent the year. Nor does the serial number begin with MM, as I've seen attributed to Remlins.

The only explanation that might fit is that Marlin must have reverted to the previous system of subtracting from 100, which would yield a born date of 2008.

Can anyone enlighten me?

If it is 2008, it would have been made during the Remington era, but is there a serial number break for the point when manufacturing processes/quality control would have been affected?

Mike
2000-92= 2008
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Mike1951
Beginner

Post by Mike1951 »

I appreciate that members here may be more knowledgeable about the subject. That's why I posted here.

But I found numerous sites that stated that the substraction method only applied through 1999. After that, the first two digits indication the year of manufacture directly. Also found this statement:
It's confusing because Marlin has changed the serial number method several times now. Before 2000, you simply took the first two digits and subtracted from 2000 to find the year (so, 02 from 2000 = 1998) After 2000 they started making the first two digits the year (02 = 2002) but they have now changed back to the subtraction method due to conflicts (93 from 2100 = 2007).
Accepting the 2008 manufacture date, can it be established that it was made before the Remlin changes were put in effect?

Mike
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike1951;

It was a very good year.......

Any way, where ever you found the method that says the first two digits are the manufacturing date after 2000 is incorrect. It has always been the subtraction system since 1973. When Marlin did use the first two digits as the year of manufacture (1969 1972) the wholesalers complained that Marlin was "dating" the inventory and made it harder to sell "older" guns left in inventory. That is when Marlin came up with the subraction system which satisfied the wholesalers as it tended to confuse buyers if they did not know the system and how it worked. By the year 2100, I do not think they will have to worry about a new serial number system, or if they do, they will think of something, after all, they will have another 89 years to work on the problem.
As the sale of Marlin to Remington was announced in December of 2007, with the deal completed in January of 2008, your gun would have been made under the Remington system. Is it the same quality as when made under the Marlin system, hard to say, but I do not think that changes would have been made very quickly in 2008 to change the way your gun was made. Frankly, if it works okay, I do not think I would worry about it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.