Early Model 90 Info

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

SpudNuts
Beginner

Early Model 90 Info

Post by SpudNuts »

Any info would help.

I recently purchased a Marlin Model 90 DT O/U at an estate sale. I got it “as is” for $95. It seemed to operate fine but of course, without firing it, I really don’t know. I tore it down and all serial numbers match but here lies my problem.

The serial number is 13761. No letters at all, not before or after.

I contacted Marlin and got a real strange, cryptic answer. The reply described the history of the model 90 and it’s changes throughout the years. Based on this info, I would say it was made around 1937-39. But then the email says that they have no history of the serial number and that they accept no liability if fired.

Then the email goes on about how the company was under different management. Not sure what that’s all about but I thought that maybe they were talking about the “Sears” line of model 90. But, this is not marked “Ranger”, it’s actually marked “The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn USA Model 90 12GA”

I’ll try to post some pictures later but I’m not looking to sell, just want history and if $95 was worth it. I really love the gun, so $95 is worth it to me but not sure about its origin.

Thanks to anyone who replies
John
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Early Model 90 Info

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

SpudNuts;

I talked to the Model 90 expert in Wisconsin about your Model 90. In his mind, this is a pre-1940 gun. The first Model 90's had a roll die engraving of ducks on the receiver, then some were made without the engraving, then the receiver was roll die engraved with dogs. Since you do not mention the engraving, your gun would most likely be the ones made between the change in the engraving scenes.
Guns made in 1940 would have had a "A" letter prefix to the serial number. All later Model 90's had letter prefixes to the serial number.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The present company's response about "previous ownership" is a reflection of the fact that Marlin was purchased by Remington around Dec. 2007. There's a fair amount of history they don't know about the previous Kenna family ownership from the early 1920's on, and even more they don't know before that time!
I've seen a number of incorrect responses about Marlin history of their firearms by whoever is doing it today. I'd not hold a lot of weight to most responses given today by the owners.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
SpudNuts
Beginner

Post by SpudNuts »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:32 pm SpudNuts;

I talked to the Model 90 expert in Wisconsin about your Model 90. In his mind, this is a pre-1940 gun. The first Model 90's had a roll die engraving of ducks on the receiver, then some were made without the engraving, then the receiver was roll die engraved with dogs. Since you do not mention the engraving, your gun would most likely be the ones made between the change in the engraving scenes.
Guns made in 1940 would have had a "A" letter prefix to the serial number. All later Model 90's had letter prefixes to the serial number.
Appreciate the reply. You are correct, there is no engravings at all on this gun.

Based on other research (and your post confirms) I’d say it’s 1937-39 and for $95, I’d say it’s well worth it.