Marlin Model 30A

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

venn1976
Beginner

Marlin Model 30A

Post by venn1976 »

I have a friend that has a Glenfield Model 30A 30-30. He was wondering if anyone would know about what year it was made, and if it had any value. It has a wooden stock with the deer on both sides of the pistol grips, and looks like oak leaves on both sides of the forearm. He does not have a computer, and asked me if I could find some info on it for him. I told him I know the place to look, so here I am lol. Any help would be great! Feel free to e-mail me!

Thanks in advance!

greatwhitehunter27@hotmail.com
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Finding the YOM is easy as pie! :D If the serial number is not preceded by a letter, subtract the 1st two digits from 100 to learn the year. For example a serial number beginning with 10 would have been made in 1990.

If the serial number is preceded by a letter, please post here & someone will quickly let you know. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Venn1976;

The Marlin Model 30A (a Glenfield version of the Model 336) was made from 1973 to 1983. Steve is correct, subtract the first two digits of the serial number from 100 to get year of manufacture.
There were 268,905 of the Model 30A's made during the production run.
I hope this helps.
clonestar
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 30A

Post by clonestar »

venn1976 wrote:I have a friend that has a Glenfield Model 30A 30-30. He was wondering if anyone would know about what year it was made, and if it had any value. It has a wooden stock with the deer on both sides of the pistol grips, and looks like oak leaves on both sides of the forearm. He does not have a computer, and asked me if I could find some info on it for him. I told him I know the place to look, so here I am lol. Any help would be great! Feel free to e-mail me!

Thanks in advance!

greatwhitehunter27@hotmail.com
I've seen some model 30A (s) go for about $400.00 at auction (in used condition) lately (within the last couple of years). Since the fall of 2008, new guns have gotten harder to find. Good used guns had all but disappeared. The ammunition situation (including components) has been worse than during the mid-90s. When I recall that my new 30A cost $75.00 at a Woolco dept store back in the 70s, it seems to have held its value considerably better than the U.S. dollar. That model 30A is still inflicting very accurate and serious wounds at the local range. :)
Crusher
Beginner

Post by Crusher »

I have a Glenfield Model 30 that was made in 1968. It is really just a 336 with a plain hardwood stock and none of the extras. Mine has the shorter magazine tube as many of these did if not all. Crusher
jemooneyham
Beginner

Post by jemooneyham »

I have a Marlin Glenfiled Mod 30A 30-30 Winchester that my dad gave me about in the early 80s. From reading on here, it was made in 1977 and is still in really good shape. I'm going deer hunting with it tomorrow.
stefatc
Beginner

Post by stefatc »

Hello guys,

Last friday I bought a Marlin 30a 30-30. there was no owner manual, no spec, nothing about safety and how that gun works. I do work with weapons and I teach it but with the Canadian Forces (army). So if you can help me with this, it would be awesome ;)

Thanks