Marlin semi-auto .22 cal long rifle Model 600

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

VJarvinen
Beginner

Marlin semi-auto .22 cal long rifle Model 600

Post by VJarvinen »

I have two of these rifles, both with scopes, but cannot find any information on this particular model. I understand the Marlin Model 600 was made specially for Big 5 Sporting Goods between 86 and 89 and because of this it is very rare because of the 3 year short production run. The 600 came with a gold-plated metal trigger instead of the standard polymer trigger, and a stainless steel breech bolt in lieu of the blue steel breech bolt on the Model 60. I have been unsuccessful in obtaining any information on the 600 on the internet, just the 60. :(
Do any of you Marlin Collectors have any information on this model 600 that they can share with me? My intention is to sell one of them but I want to have as much information on it as possible first. If it is indeed a rare model than I might just hang onto it for my grandchildren.
Thanks, Vickie
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Marlin semi-auto .22 cal long rifle Model 600

Post by Bear 45/70 »

What is the brand name on the barrel?
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
VJarvinen
Beginner

Post by VJarvinen »

Hi Bear,

The Marlin Firearms Co. North Haven, Conn. U.S.A.
Model 600 Micro Groove Barrel Cal. 22 L.R. Only

(P.S. I was born and raised in Issaquah, WA...hello fellow Washingtonian :)

Vickie
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vickie;

If everything about your Model 600 looks like a Marlin Model 60 except for the little things you mentioned, then it is most likely a Marlin Model 60 made up for United Merchandising Big 5 Stores with those little extras to make it stand out from the regular Marlin Model 60's. Marlin would make these slight changes for the private brand guns to help them differeniate them from the Marlin product and other private brand guns. Marlin made millions of the Model 60 over the years, and quite often for private companies to sell under their company name.
The bad news it that many of the private brand guns do not bring the price of the regular Marlin product, even though it basicaly the same gun. There just is not the "collector" market for these private brand guns and so as a collectors item, they seem to lag behind other limited edition guns.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
VJarvinen
Beginner

Post by VJarvinen »

Thanks for the information gentlemen....I really appreciate it. :) I actually located my manual and it had a sticker on it that said "Instructions and specifications for your rifle are listed in this manual under the Model 60, some part numbers differ than those of the Model 60, be sure that part orders or correspondence clearly indicates that your rifle is a Model 600. So, if you fellas were given the chance to have either the 600 or the 60 which would you choose? As I mentioned earlier I will be selling one of them and just haven't decided which one to keep. Maybe the one with the best scope huh? HA!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

If it was me I would keep the 600 because the 60 is the most produced commercial 22 auto on the planet. I have a thing for the odd stuff thought.

The closest I've been to Issaquah in the last 10 years is the Washington State Ferry by that name. I stay on the west side of the sound, unless forced to visit the crowded side.
Bear 45/70

VJarvinen
Beginner

Post by VJarvinen »

I'll bet you have magnificent views of the Olympic Mountains!!! I am no longer in Issaquah, live in California (which by the way sucks...ha!) but have cousins that live in Port Ludlow and I think that entire county is beautiful! Thanks for the info Bear!!!!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Out my front window.

Bear 45/70

VJarvinen
Beginner

Post by VJarvinen »

Absolutely beautiful....WOW is all I can say!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

It's the reason I lived over here for 6 years and commuted to Seattle after we first moved over here. Then I found a job here and I only see the other side to go to the VA Hospital or pass through heading for the east side of the Cascade Mountains.
Bear 45/70