Marlin 60 Buffer

Anything to do with gun smithing.
KenHo
Beginner

Marlin 60 Buffer

Post by KenHo »

Hello all - I just came into a 1998 model 60 - or so it seems from the serial number of 0209xxxx. The stock has a nice layout of checkering on the wood.

The rifle was a basket case, with the screws #58, 59, & 61 missing as well as #54, the stock reinforcement screw. The inner magazine tube is missing - I've ordered a replacement tube. Per the parts list it looks like item #6 is called the buffer which is a nylon part. That's the nylon part that seems to be the buffer. Problem is the nylon is broken and crumbling. Does anyone know exactly the purpose this nylon part serves? and even more important, were can I buy one? Is there a parts place from Marlin that will sell these parts?

Thank you all for any help or suggestions.

Ken H.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 60 Buffer

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

KenHo;

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation ( www.gunpartscorp.com ) has the buffer for the New Style Model 60. They have new ones and used ones available.
Now you have to know the difference between a New Style Model 60 and an Old Style Model 60.
If the New Style is not the right part for your Model 60, then check eBay. There are a number of Model 60 parts for sale there.
Good luck...........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
KenHo
Beginner

Post by KenHo »

Shucks, that was easy and I should have thought about that myself...... well, it would be if I could determine the difference between the old style and new style buffer. AS I mentioned, my model 60 is a 1998 year. Seems like there was a change in early '80s when the magazine tube was shortened to 18" from full length of barrel? Then another change right after 2000. So, which would it be - new or old?

Also, just what does that piece buffer? The bolt recoil?

Thanks for the help,

Ken H>
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ken H.

The only thing I know about the Marlin Model 60 is that Marlin sold more of them than any other gun they ever made.
Marlin made millions of them since the beginning of the production of that model.
You might check www.RimFireCentral.com to see if there is anything there about how to determine when the Old Style stopped and the New Style started. There is a forum dedicated to Marlins there.
You might look at the picture of the buffer at Numrich to see if the one for the New Style looks like the one you have.
Again, Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
KenHo
Beginner

Post by KenHo »

Thanks, Marlin made over 11 million of those rifles! That's 11,000,000 of almost exactly the same rifle. That is one popular rifle for sure, and here I was thinking the 10-22 was perhaps the most popular rifle, but it says only "over 5 million were made", and it was first produced in 1964, so it's only 4 yr newer model than the model 60.

Anyway, back to thread - I've looked at the buffers on Numrich as well as ebay and it's hard to determine from looks which is newer vs older model. My buffer is broken up so badly it's hard to tell the shape. If I could get a good feel for the shape, I could make one from UHMW I've got on hand. I found one on ebay that "looks" ok, and at only $11 shipped, I've ordered hoping it will fit, or can be made to fit.

Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Ken H>