Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1894

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dpiarussi
Beginner

Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1894

Post by dpiarussi »

I picked up an early 1893, serial 99554 in .38-55. 98% all.
Crisp, bright sharp-edged bore.

Had it bore swaged by a notable gunsmith in Ft. Worth. He said it calibrates at groove 2 groove .389 (!) and land 2 land .382.

I asked him to do it 2 more times and in front of me. It came out the same. That seems too big but what do i know. I thought the biggest groove 2 groove is .382.

If that is true, and since i want to try paper patching... if groove 2 groove is .389, what soft lead swaged size should i try first ?

Thank you all you will established experts. I'm at a loss.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Marlin 1893 manufactured in 1894

Post by Brent »

If you want to shoot paper patched bullets in a lever gun, I'd recommend that you build the bullet so that the final diameter, after patching, is real close to groove diameter. This would be true regardless of what flavor of powder you might choose to use.

I have been working on building a 95 Marlin to shoot with paper patched bullets. In my case the bullets are .459 and the groove is about .458 or .459" (.45-70). But I have not been able to get to the stage where I can work up loads yet. In the meantime, I sent some bullets to a friend with a modern 95 Marlin in .45-70 and a microgroove barrel and he shot these pretty darn well using 4895 for powder. I will be using black powder however.

I would strongly recommend that you look for a copy of Paul Matthews' book "The Paper Jacket". In it, he discusses shooting paper patches with smokeless and in lever guns fairly extensively. It is, by far, the best read out there on the subject.

Normally, I shoot paper patches in singles shots. For this, I use bullets that are land diameter and I load them far up into the bore. It is almost like breech seating. This is excellent for accuracy where wiping between shots is allowed. It is basically impossible to do in a fouled bore however. Given the overall length restrictions and the impracticality of wiping between shots for lever guns, this is not a viable approach for you.

I would look to have the mould cut at .482" and then patch with about an 8# tracing paper. This should be close to turning the trick for you.

Best of luck,
Brent

PS. you know you will need longer brass than the modern .38-55 uses. This will be especially important for paper patching. Starline makes it. If they don't have any in stock you might check trackofthewolf.com

PPS. If you happen to want to sell that rifle, I'm listening ....