1963 39A stock finish question

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bdbill
Beginner

1963 39A stock finish question

Post by bdbill »

Hi,
My father passed away, and while going through the guns, which were left downstairs, was a 1963 39A Marlin. The stock has dried out areas, I tried Renaissance wax, but it still feels rough. My question is, what kind of a finish was used when new, and what should I do to fix this, or am I better off to live with it? Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Bill
Road King
Expert

Re: 1963 39A stock finish question

Post by Road King »

A photo would help to determine if the finish is original or not. If the stocks are oiled I would suggest a wipe down with 0000 steel wool to take the roughness out and then a coat of tung and teak oil. If they are varnished then they may have to be refinished or stripped and hand rubbed with linseed oil. It would be very difficult to get the original varnish type finish reapplied.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
bdbill
Beginner

Post by bdbill »

Here is a photo of the stock. I'm 99% sure he never refinished it, probably only used it for a couple years before leaving it in the basement. You can see the dried out blotches.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14874892@N02/15496549790/
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I would suggest the real fine steel wool and blend the dried out patches in. I have also used a product called ARROW Wood Finish as a repair for old finishes. It appears that it is the original finish, but has caused the blemishes I am not sure. There may be others that have other suggestions.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."