First variation Mountie

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

j7l2
Beginner

First variation Mountie

Post by j7l2 »

Gunrunner, In 1953 the early Mounties had Ballard rifling and a 24 inch barrel with a smaller, trim forend. Was there also a variation the same year with Ballard rifling and 24 inch barrel with a larger forend? I so is this second variation desirable?
Thanks for any info you can share on this.
j7l2
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: First variation Mountie

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

J7I2;

I went through several catalogs of the period, and cannot find anywhere there was a 24 inch barrel Mountie with the "fat" forearm. When the "fat" forearm shows up, it is on a 20 inch barrel Mountie.
Now, that is not to say that somewhere along the line, some were produced as about anything was possible with Marlin. Frank Kenna really liked that "fat" forearm and insisted that it be made over the years when there was some desire by customers to have a slim forearm.
With Marlin, we never say never.........
But that said, if you should find a 24 inch barrel Mountie with a "fat" forearm, look very closely at the wood and make sure the forearm wood and butt stock match in finish and color. There is always the possibility that the gun was returned to the factory at some point in time and a "fat" forearm installed to replace a slim forearm.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Gunrunner, Thank you for the quick reply. I have checked the wood over carefully and both grain and color and finish match exactly. It also is a K prefix serial number. So I guess it comes under the Never say Never. I am undecided about buying it due to the larger forend, but it is a very clean and collectable gun. I had really wanted the slimmer forend but maybe this one is a keeper also.
Regards,
j7l2
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sometimes guns that can't be documented as factory, just need to be examined. But even then it's sometimes tough to discern if it's factory original, factory modified, or expertly changed later. It will sometimes boil down to price, and a gut feel for the look. If it's not badly priced, and someone isn't trying to raise the value based on something they consider "rare" then it's probably not a bad purchase.
I've got some old Marlins that didn't show up in the records when I checked. But they look so unmolested, and original that I bought them anyway. Buy the gun, but not the story. Unless the story can be documented.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

I know what you mean. The gun looks all correct and is in excellent condition. I think it is priced a bit high. Price according to the Blue Book. I probably will try to make an offer and add it my collection. I just don't know how often the first year Mounties come along.
Thanks for your input.
j7l2
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

J7I2;

According to records, were are 4,335 Mounties made in 1953, just to give you an idea as to the rarity of these rifles.

j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Wow. That's good to know. Makes it a fairly scarce gun.
Thank you,
j7l2
j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Well. I went and bought it. The forearm I am sure has been on the gun from new. It is in between the slim forearm and the fat forearm. Never have seen one like it. It is a K serial number and a good 97% original condition. Sights are correct and finishes are correct. I just never saw a forearm of this size.
Probably a few more out there like it. Any thoughts?
Regards,
j7l2
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

J7I2;

If the price was right, and the condition as described, you made a good choice. There are always variations that pop up from time to time that tend to make us re-think things. As I said before, never say never with Marlin..........

j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Any idea of how many total k series were made in 1953. All types.
Thanks for any info.
Regards,
j7l2
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

j7l2 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:31 pm Any idea of how many total k series were made in 1953. All types.
Thanks for any info.
Regards,
j7l2
18,530 were 39A and 4,335 were 39 Mounties.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Thank you