Marlin Model 47 - research project

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by chrifle »

I have decided to try and catalog as much information as possible on the Marlin Model 47 pump rifle offered in 1930-31. This was a non-catalogued rifle, offered by choice only with a purchase of 4 shares of stock. VERY little information is known about these rifles. If you are an owner, or know of owners that would like to participate with information and / or pictures, please contact me by PM or email. I am especially interested in serial code, tang marking, mag tube length /closure type, front and rear sights, buttplate, etc. THANKS in advance for spreading the word and participating! Information provided will be considered strictly confidential - nothing personal will be published without owner's consent!!! I simply want to build a knowledge database for Marlin enthusiasts worldwide on one of the rarest Marlin models in existence (shadows of what Parley Bear has done for the 1893)...
ImageImageImageImage
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by chrifle »

Dear Marlin collectors:
I have selected 5 categories of information to track, and would be highly grateful if all Model 47 owners can supply this information to me via email or PM. No personal information will be shared or distributed! I am undertaking this project to build a statistical database of features for the rare Marlin Model 47, offered only in 1930-31 as a "gift" choice for purchasers of 4 shares of Marlin stock.
THANKS in advance for your cooperation and participation!!!

SERIAL# _ _ _ _
all known are 4 digits (you may provide "x" in last digit for privacy if you wish)

TANG MARKING MOD.47 or Marlin No_47
2 different tang markings are known (block letters or script), may be possible to distinguish offering year with this

REAR SIGHT Fixed height or Adjustable (Rocky Mountain)
Rocky mountain adjustable site was noted as "standard" by Brophy

FRONT SIGHT Brass bead or Ivory bead or Other
no information exists; use "other" when bead or entire site is missing

BARREL/MAG TUBE distance (in. or cm.) from end of mag tube to end of barrel
standard barrel was 23" round; this helps determine whether barrel has been cut down or different mag tube lengths were used
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Looks like you are making good progress. I had a real nice Model 47 years ago but it is now in the hands of another collector so that will not help now.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
darind
Beginner

Post by darind »

Serial #3179
Look forward to this post growing and glad I have found this website...look forward to learning a thing or two.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

MANY thanks for contributing Darind! We all can learn something, every day. Appreciate your pictures and input; you have a nice condition 47! best regards, chrifle
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

database update: 100% reported & known have 4 digit serial code, 23" barrel, and Model no 47 tang marking. Adjustable rear sight, reported as "standard" by Brophy, is VERY rare, and may be incorrect!?
Many thanks for contributing information on your Model 47 rifle!
54bullseye
Beginner

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi John here I bought JThompsons model 47 ... As he said in the guest forum serial # 3216 ... # 3216 also stamped in back side of butt plate, in stock under top tang and #216 is stamped inside rear of the right side plate... The upper tang is marked with Marlin No 47 in script writing ....This is the odd part-from muzzel end of barrel to where bolt face meets chamber it's 22" ?????? From muzzel end of barrel to rear most part of front sight it's 1"....From muzzel end of barrel to magazine tube with out magazine in it's 3 1/2" and with magazine in it's about 3 1/16th"....... front sight is same as in previous pictures with brass bead ..... rear sight is fixed height same as previous pictures..... also all barrel markings are the same as in previous pictures of serial #3179 gun.....Barrel is not crowned nor does it show any signs of being cut or shortened.. Please get back to me with your thoughts on barrel length . Does muzzel to front sight measurement match any others or muzzel to magazine tube ????? Here is another measurement rear of rear sight to receiver 3"....Please any one with a model 47 could you let me know where mine measures different ??? I will try to post some pictures tomorrow... Thanks John 54bullseye
tallend
Beginner

Post by tallend »

Sir
My 47
Barrel-22"----not crowned
mag 17 7/8-------3 9/16 from end of barrel
2 line MARLIN/No47
Fixed sights,front and rear
Numbers match 248x

90% condition----its for sale----850.00-----------------------divorce took most of the Marlin collection
I'm in Indiana
tallend
Beginner

Post by tallend »

sirs--I added my information----"Has to be ok'd by the board"??????????????? not showing up????why???
54bullseye
Beginner

Post by 54bullseye »

Boy not many people respond back to you on this fourm... Is this the way it always is or is it because I am a "Beginner" John
tallend
Beginner

Post by tallend »

Sir
My Mdl.47
Barrel-22",not crowned.
Magazine,17 7/8"-----3 9/16"from end of barrel.
2 line Marlin,over No.47
Fixed sights front and rear
Serial number "248x",on all parts

Questions?
tallend
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Thanks to all who have contributed so far!!! A note regarding barrel length - are you measuring the entire length including the chamber? the easiest way is to insert and "bottom out" a wooden dowel or cleaning rod to the bolt (action closed) from the muzzle end, mark the rod at muzzle, withdraw, and measure. The standard barrel length was 23" on the model 47.
PLEASE continue to contribute to this growing database of information if you are a model 47 owner or know of one that you can get information on - many thanks in advance! I will provide statistical updates on a quarterly basis... best regards, chrifle
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Chrifle;

Visited the Denver show a couple of weeks ago and got some information off on one Model 47 I saw there. I did not measure the barrel, but the gun looked correct in all manner.

It was marked No. 47, and was serial number 2516 with fixed sights and a Corporation marked barrel. It was a very pretty gun in original condition that would make any Marlin owner proud to have in their collection.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mobydoug
Pro-Marksman

Post by mobydoug »

S.N. 2367. Marlin No. 47. 22" barrel not crowned. Mag. tube 3 1/4" short of muzzle/ Foxed rear sight. Front sight no bead. All original I believe. Doug
Camarillo Smith
Beginner

Post by Camarillo Smith »

My rifle is described as follows:

Script- Marlin/NO 47 on top tang
Serial # 4892 on bottom tang, on underside of buttplate, in stock under top tang
22 1/8" round barrel no crown
fixed rear sight 3 1/16" forward of receiver,
17 1/4" sight radius between sights,
front site brass bead 3/4" back from muzzle
top of magazine 3 1/8" from muzzle
mag tube is steel/steel with knurled head and a fixed locking pin, "L" shaped slot in outer mag tube
Hope this helps