38 Rimfire Single Shot Rifle

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

325window
Beginner

38 Rimfire Single Shot Rifle

Post by 325window »

New member here. I own a Marlin 38 Long, Rimfire single shot rifle. I believe my father (now deceased) acquired it in the 1950’s. The serial number is 26420. It has a hexagon barrel and is heavy as heck. The trigger guard functions as a lever which pulls the hammer mechanism down to expose the chamber. I am hoping someone here could tell me what I have. I am curious as to when it might have been manufactured, what it was designed for, etc.

I appreciate anyone sharing their wisdom re this rifle based on my description. Thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 38 Rimfire Single Shot Rifle

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

325Window;

What you have is a Marlin Ballard single shot rifle, most likely a Number 2 version. We can narrow things down a little more with some information you can find on the side of the receiver. Is it marked J. M. Marlin or Marlin Fire-Arms Company? Is the lever "S" shaped or does it have a closed loop at the end? Single trigger or double set triggers?
Looking forward to your reply.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
325window
Beginner

Post by 325window »

Thank you for such a prompt reply. Here is a bit more info.

The info below is stamped on the left side of the receiver.

Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven CT. USA
Patented February 8, 1875
BALLARD’S. Patent November 5, 1861

It has a “S” shaped trigger guard. Single trigger

Thank you again from Birmingham AL.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

325Window;

The marking with Marlin Fire-Arms Company tells us that this Number 2 Ballard rifle was made sometime between 1881 and 1891. Ballards made between 1875 and 1881 are marked J. M. Marlin. With a 26,000 serial number range, it was probably made about 1888, give or take a year or two. There are no factory records for Ballard rifles, so there is no way of really knowing that for sure.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
325window
Beginner

Post by 325window »

Thank you for the update. I guess the rifle is older than I thought. I only have a few rounds of ammo and I am not sure how old it is. I am not sure if I want to fire it anyway. It will be an interesting conversation piece. I have a few friends who really enjoy their firearms and I am sure they will be interested.

I will continue to monitor the site. I suspect there are a lot of interesting discussions. Thank you again for the info.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The #2 in .38 Long had John Marlin's patented reversible firing pin system which allowed them to shoot either centerfire or rimfire cases. You simply removed the firing pin screw in the breech block and flipped the firing pin upside down to change from CF or RF.
The highest known serial numbers on Marlin Ballard rifles is in the 36000 range, and serial numbers were restarted in 1881 when JM Marlin incorporated to Marlin Firearms Co. So in about 10 years they built 36,000 rifles which means estimated 3,600 a year. Of course less in the last few years, but this is just an estimate.
In the production of Ballard rifles we find duplicate serial numbers with JM Marlin or Marlin Firearms Co. marked receivers. But a 26000 serial number is high enough to always be a later marking.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
325window
Beginner

Post by 325window »

I have had two or three folks say they would like to purchase this rifle. I am nearing 78 years old and I do not have any family members interested in keeping it. I have no idea what would be a fair price for buyer and seller. One interested party has a significant collection and he has children interested in maintaining his collection. I am more inclined to let him have first opportunity. I would appreciate any guidance from the members. Thank you.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Since your Ballard #2 has the reversible firing pin, they are more popular than other maker's guns that were strictly RF or CF. Just pulling the firing pin screw and then remove the firing pin and turning it upside down converts it from RF to CF, or back. So an easy task for anyone to do. The issue is finding .38 Long ammo with the correct heeled bullets if an owner wanted to shoot it, so they are popular to folks who hand load, and cast their own bullets.
Values on a #2 Ballard in .38 Long can vary quite a bit, so without good pictures, and a bore description, I can't give you a good estimate of what's fair. I've purchased them from as little as $450, and up to close to $1800, depending on condition, features, sights, etc. Of course the mintier they are, and the more features they have, plus a great bore, will get closer to the high end number.
These aren't great pictures, but I recently sold this one with great wood, a excellent bore, and decent barrel bluing for $1100. All original sights, and no special features.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!