Model 1891 Marlin

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

j7l2
Beginner

Model 1891 Marlin

Post by j7l2 »

I am looking at a Marlin Model 1891 in .32 caliber. It has both the rimfire and centerfire firing pins. All I can find is .32 Winchester short ammo. Will this feed or does it have to be 32 Long Colt? Or is .32 Colt Long ammo readily available at Gun Shows?
Thanks for any comments or info.
James Orr
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1891 Marlin

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure what ".32 Winchester short ammo" is? That's not a caliber, unless you mean it's .32 Colt Short made by Winchester? If so, then .32 Colt Short will fire and function in the 1891 Marlin.
.32 Long is not readily available anywhere. It's been out of production for years, and you'll have to either reload with cases you find, or get lucky and occasionally find some old stock of .32 Long ammo. Even .32 Colt Short is getting tough to find.
There are some issues with some .32 Long Colt or .32 Short Colt, and that's bullet diameter. It can be found with either .312" or .309" bullets, and the smaller size will give horrible accuracy and leading.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gentlemen;

Do not forget that there is .32 Colt Long Rifle cartridges along with the .32 Short and Long cartridges that the Model 1891 and 1892 could utilize, in either rim or center-fire cartridges.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Thanks for the quick replies. I meant to type .32 Short Colt made by Winchester. I never heard of a .32 Colt Long Rifle. Or would I be better staying away from .32 caliber Marlins and sick with .22 caliber.
j7l2
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

J7I2;

That depends upon whether you are just collecting or want to collect and shoot. If it is just collecting, the the .22 caliber guns are the more desirable and collectible to most people. If you are interested in collecting and shooting, then either is okay if you can find the .32 Colt ammunition at a reasonable price. The thing about shooting the .22 caliber guns is to remember that these are black powder guns and you should only use standard velocity or target ammunition in them. Another thing about .22 caliber guns is that guns with condition are hard to find and usually more expensive than .32 caliber guns of the same model.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
j7l2
Beginner

Post by j7l2 »

Thanks. All very good points. I am a collector and shooter. Condition is priority including a very good bore. Realistically would probably only shoot a box of ammo per year. Most .32 caliber Model 1891's I have examined had questionable bores. Also I don't like refinished guns.
Regards,
j7l2
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Any early Marlin collection would be incomplete without both the Model 1891 calibers .22 and .32, but if I was only going to shoot it I'd prefer the .22 version.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!