Refinishing metal on Marlin model 60

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

utvolsfan77
Beginner

Refinishing metal on Marlin model 60

Post by utvolsfan77 »

I have several Marlin model 60 rifles (and corresponding variants), in which the finish on the receiver and other metal parts has worn through or been chipped off. Many of the spots are larger than what one would use liquid black or touch-up pens on. None of these rifles are particularly rare or worth much more than sentimental value.

How is the best way or method to refinish the aluminum and other metal parts to improve their appearance? Thanks for everyone's' help on this.

Billy
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Refinishing metal on Marlin model 60

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Billy

For aluminum, the best method is anodizing. This is usually done in a plating shop. There are lots of colors of anodize so you choose whatever you like, or mix and match......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Refinishing metal on Marlin model 60

Post by marlinman93 »

Most places that do anodizing wont have an FFL so wont touch your receivers. You might consider buying a cheap powder coating kit and powder coating them black yourself. The parts can be baked in a toaster oven so your wife wont be upset you used her oven. I have a toaster oven I bought cheap at the Goodwill store, and use it for small gun and car parts. Kits are available on Ebay pretty cheap. About $100 or less with gun and power supply to electrically charge the parts for spraying the powder. No smelly paint as the powder isn't wet. The powder sold separately and isn't expensive.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!