Marlin Model 60 Front Sight Removal

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

utvolsfan77
Beginner

Marlin Model 60 Front Sight Removal

Post by utvolsfan77 »

Regnier (gunrunner) or anyone else that may know,

I have noticed that there seem to be at least two different types of front sights on Marlin model 60 rifles (and its variants).

The first type is normally made of steel and can be removed simply by removing the slot head screw and lifting the sight off the barrel. This type is shown in the first photo.

The second type appears to be made of some sort of aluminum alloy and is shown in second photo. This sight has a very small Allen screw just to the rear of the front sight blade. I removed that screw but still cannot get the sight off. I have checked all around it but cannot find any pins or anything else that is holding this thing on the barrel.

What am I doing wrong? How on earth do you remove this second type of front sight from the barrel to actually prep the barrel for re-bluing?
utvolsfan77
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 60 Front Sight Removal

Post by utvolsfan77 »

Finally got it off. I had to use a larger diameter brass punch and drive it toward the muzzle. Once I got it removed I noticed a stain on the barrel where the sight had been that was darker than the blueing. It looked like it had been caused by some form of epoxy or super glue.

Does anyone know about this?

When I replace the sight, will the small Allen head setscrew be enough to hold the front sight in place, or will I also need to use some type of adhesive as well?