Range M34 and M36a barrels on Marlin 100?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jdwhite
Beginner

Range M34 and M36a barrels on Marlin 100?

Post by jdwhite »

Greetings. I have been buying parts to refinish my grandfather's single shot .22 rifle (Marlin Model 100) made around 1938. I have noticed something unusual though. On Gunbroker and other auction sites, I have seen a few guns that are clearly the Model 100 but have Ranger M34 or Ranger M36a printed on the barrel. I know that the M34 was the Ranger version of the Marlin Model 65 (and has a different bolt/receiver) but I wasn't able to find any information on the 36a, though I know the Ranger M36 was clip-fed and not a single shot. Anyone have any ideas? Were they assembling guns with whatever barrels were available? Anyone have a good source on the Ranger Arms Company?

Here are the guns that are exact same to my Model 100:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =169056100
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =169894030

I am including the pictures from the second listing before they are deleted from Gunbroker.

Cheers,
Jeff
big shrek
Pro-Marksman

Re: Range M34 and M36a barrels on Marlin 100?

Post by big shrek »

Sears sold the Ranger-branded Marlins.

Basically, Marlin made 'em, then labeled them for each store...on the barrelstamps.

That's why you have Ranger, Coast-to-Coast, Big 5, Katz, Cotter & Co, & a ton of other stores with their own personal brand of Marlin.

You practically need a cross-reference for the Numrich Cross-references when it comes to Marlins.

Hope that helps :D
It's worse than that...he's dead, Jim. You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.
jdwhite
Beginner

Re: Range M34 and M36a barrels on Marlin 100?

Post by jdwhite »

Yeah, the whole is strange when I see a Marlin 100 being sold as three different models: Ranger M35, M36a and 103.8.