Marlin bullseye question.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Marlin bullseye question.

Post by smithywess »

I have a question. Did the Model of 1936, 1st variation with fluted comb, unprefixed serial number and flat hammer spring, have the Marlin bullseye in the stock, and if so how far from the toe of the butt was it situated ?

thanks,
James.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin bullseye question.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

James;

According to Brophy, on page 249, the 1st variation of the Model 1936 did have the trademark "bullseye". There is a chart listing the differences between the Model 1936 and the Model 36.
As to location, it should pretty much be the standard distance from the toe of stock. According to Brophy, page 524, that distance is usually 4 to 4 1/2 inches from the toe.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply Regnier, and especially for the reference to page 249 in Brophy's book. With the greatest of respect I wonder if you have misread this reference for I note that the 1st variation in the Model of 1936 does not have the trademark bullseye, but the 2nd variation does. This was not a trick question of mine for I have recently come across a 1st variation Model with a sling swivel stud at 4" from the toe of the buttstock and I know the urge by some is to use that bullseye trademark as their point of entry for the swivel stud. Based on the information you kindly directed me to it would seem that this rifle never did have the bullseye, but it also shouldn't have the swivel stud !! Thank you again for the very useful information.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

James;

You are correct. I did misread the chart on page 249. But, at least you did find some information that did help you with the question at hand. Unless your Model 1936 is a deluxe gun with checkered stocks, then the swivels were added later.

smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Regnier,

I really appreciate your help here. I have been searching for a Model of 1936 in it's 1st variation, in good condition, for several years now with very little luck. In my neck of the woods they seem few and far beyond. I've only seen three and obtained the third one, the first one lasted only a few hours and was bought by someone else, and the third wasn't for sale. Thank you again for your lasting interest.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

James;

If you want to get some of the best information on the Model 1936, do a SEARCH on this site for the Model 1936. The late Don Anderson was about the most knowledgeable person there was on that model, and he put a lot of that information on this site in answers to Model 1936 questions.

daville
Pro-Marksman

Post by daville »

Are you still looking for 1936 Marlins contact me for I am breaking up a large collection and I know there is at least one first edition 36
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

daville wrote:Are you still looking for 1936 Marlins contact me for I am breaking up a large collection and I know there is at least one first edition 36
Thanks very much but I have acquired a very nice rifle with which I'm happy.