marlin quality control

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tonyl
Beginner

marlin quality control

Post by tonyl »

disapointed with marlin 45-70 sbl. got it home and noticed there was an additional dovetail cut into barrel (for shorter mag tube?). the barrel was badly scratched.thuoght I would shoot it anyway and surprise! plagued by the marlin jamb(poor finishing on internals). after closer inspection I noticed burrs in reciever. these do not hinder function but are evidence of poor quality control.called marlin and the sent me a return packing slip. anyway do you think they will fix this correctly? anybody delt with marlin return center? not feeling good about this one . yes I should have looked closer before purchase but after waiting so long and these are still hard to come by I guess I feel pretty blindsided. I SMELL REMINGTON?!!!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: marlin quality control

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The 1895 was never plagued with the dreaded Marlin Jam. That belonged to the 1894s.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
tonyl
Beginner

Post by tonyl »

Bear 45/70 wrote:The 1895 was never plagued with the dreaded Marlin Jam. That belonged to the 1894s.
yep its doing the exact same thing my 1894 44mag would do. that one ran perfect after my gunsmith fixed it
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

tonyl wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:The 1895 was never plagued with the dreaded Marlin Jam. That belonged to the 1894s.
yep its doing the exact same thing my 1894 44mag would do. that one ran perfect after my gunsmith fixed it
Why would you have a gunsmith fix it when Marlin fixes it for free? The only problem any of my 1895s ever had was caused by loose screws. Must have 10,000 rounds thru this one (a 1983 version) and no real issues and never a Marlin Jam. You are the first one I know of to complain about an 1895 with the jam issue.
Bear 45/70

marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. I have had a few new marlins but no 1895 yet but of the 336's and 39a's that I have bought they were all a little rough at first but with a little bit a shooting they started smoothing up right away and after a little while they were fine for me.The guy's that are into cowboy action shooting need a lot more smothness I guess that is the right word and I don't think you could find that in any make right out of the box.I guess I have been lucky I have never really had a problem with the marlin jam,and have bought a couple tha i bought cheap because the owner said it wouldnt function correctly.And i don't think a little oil hutrs either.
tonyl
Beginner

Post by tonyl »

you guy should go on marlinowners.com under "rant" section and you will see how marlin is doing it now .stories like mine.not funny . talked to authorized marlin gunsmith and he told me that 47-70 sbl's are having feed problems do to some all stainless steel to all stainless steel parts galling one another? all i know is mine is in the marlin factory hands now and worry they wont fix it correctly.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

I looked back at my post and should have added that I don't have any Marlins post the new saftey and do not know about newer rifles.The saftey is not something I was not interested in good or bad.It sounds like you guys are really having troubles and I didn't mean to sound like I doubted that you were.Good luck on your repairs.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

My 1895 has never been repaired unless you count tightening screws as repairing. I call it normal general maintenance.
Bear 45/70

tonyl
Beginner

Post by tonyl »

did you rub out your second dovetail that was cut out of your barrel too? its not loose screws were talking about!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

tonyl wrote:did you rub out your second dovetail that was cut out of your barrel too? its not loose screws were talking about!
So if it is so bad, why haven't you contacted Marlin and have the gun returned to be made right? All you've done is come here and *beep* and moan like a 4 year old. Shut the *beep* up and do what needs to be done and leave us out of you minor little problem. :roll:
Bear 45/70

marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

I am new to this site to;I have been reading on this site for quite some time.Your in Marlin territory.These guy's are very fond of marlins{me to]I think maybe what is meant here is that I haven't found a fourm on here for complaints.I will add a little info. that may or may not help.Marlins are fairly simple should be an easy fix.But in some [maybe all]lever action rifles overall cartridge length is very important.If they are to long you will have feeding problems no fault of the guns.I have seen this in realoading and heard of this in some factory ammo. Not sure there.From what I have seen on this Website you can ask about any question you want and thes guys will be very helpful.But complaint's won't be very welcome. hope this might help.
tonyl
Beginner

Post by tonyl »

its been in marlins hands for two weeks now .
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Then why are you still whining about it.
Bear 45/70

tonyl
Beginner

Post by tonyl »

Just looking for addvice and to see if others other than yourself are having the same issues. please go back in your "den" grumpy old bear! I stick with marlimowner.com . I know, you just think everybody but you is stupid. go crawl back in your bottle later and thank to everyone else
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

tonyl wrote:Just looking for addvice and to see if others other than yourself are having the same issues. please go back in your "den" grumpy old bear! I stick with marlimowner.com . I know, you just think everybody but you is stupid. go crawl back in your bottle later and thank to everyone else
Why would you need advise to send the rifle back to Marlin? No one here has no control over anything at Marlin.
Bear 45/70