Model 57M question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Donnybrook
Beginner

Model 57M question

Post by Donnybrook »

Hello. Newbie here. I recently refurbed my Model 57M (.22 Mag levermatic) that I've had since childhood. I was curious to find the date of manufacture so I looked for a serial number. Oddly, there is no serial number anywhere. I took the gun down completely. Any ideas as to date? Definitely a steel receiver, not aluminum. Confirmed by magnet. Does the lack of a ser# give it any more value? Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 57M question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Donnybrook;

The Marlin Model 57M had an aluminum receiver from 1959 and up to 1960 when it was changed to a steel receiver. Marlin did not serialize several ines of the guns they manufactured as it added an extra manufacturing step that added to the cost. In 1968, the Federal Government passed the Gun Control Act of 1968 requiring all guns manufactured to have serial numbers and records maintained. So, your Marlin Model 57M would have been made sometime between 1966 and 1968. Since Marlin made over 66,000 of the Model 57M's (including those made for Sears, Roebuck and Company and Western Auto), there are lots of guns "out there" that may not have serial numbers like yours. So, that is not a value enhancer. The Model 57M has become a collectors item in it's own right and is worth something to a collector wanting to add one to their collection.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
rjtmac
Beginner

Post by rjtmac »

New to the forum ... was reading a thread where "gunrunner" was giving some information on the manufacture date of a Marlin 57M. He gave some dates defining use of the aluminum and steel receivers. 1959 - 1965 for Aluminum and 1966 for the start of Steel Receivers

I am compiling a History of the Gun Model, History of Purchase info, Personal Modification and Maintenance information sheet and Detail Description Sheet on the 57M I just purchased.

I was wanting to send "gunrunner" a Private Message" but seems as a NEWBIE I can't do that yet. I was wanting to ask what his REFERENCE was for the date information. I was wanting the REFERENCE as an entry to document the Date Information on the Receivers in my History of the Gun and Purchase Information.

If "gunrunner" reads this I would appreciate your response. Sorry for going at it this way but I don't know how many entries I will have to make before I could contact you directly ...
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rjtmac;

I made a mistake on that first post you referred to, the receiver changed from aluminum to steel in 1960, not 1966. It was the shape of the forearm that changed in 1966.
My source of information is William S. Brophy's book on Marlin firearms.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
amishjeff
Beginner

Post by amishjeff »

For Marlin Rimfire Rifles [non-serialized]:

From 1962 thru 1968 Marlins rimfire rifles (other than the 39 series lever actions) used a two letter date code that was stamped on the barrel. This date code is different than the one already listed, as Marlin rimfire rifles (other than the model 39 series) did not have a serial numbers until required to by Law after 1968. The first letter of the date code represented the month of manufacture while the second letter indicated the year. This date code was usually stamped on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. The first letter of the date code is as follows:

A = Jan.
B = Feb.
C = Mar.
D = Apr.
E = May
F = June
G = July
H = Aug.
I = Sep.
J = Oct.
K = Nov.
L = Dec.

The second letter of the date code is as follows:

F = 1962
G = 1963
H = 1964
I = 1965
J = 1966
K = 1967
L = 1968

So a date code of "JK" would indicate that rifle was made in October of 1967.
Last edited by amishjeff on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.