1888 38w top ejection port. Serial #?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Unclsu
Beginner

1888 38w top ejection port. Serial #?

Post by Unclsu »

Hello I have been researching my great great grandfathers Marlin. Via the Internet and I can't find an exact match These are the identifies I have so far:

23.5 to 24 in octagon barrel
38w on top end of barrel.
Top ejection
No safety markings

The closest thing I have found is the 1888. I can not find the serial number. If is suppose to be on the bottom of the receiver near the forearm then it has been filed off. Which is something I could believe because he was chief of police in New Orleans 1920s. He could have acquired It....

If it is an 1888 what is its possible value? My guess if the serial number was filed off then that will be an issue.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1888 38w top ejection port. Serial #?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Unclsu;

Yes, the missing serial number will be an issue if it has been ground off. If you want to find a serial number, remove the butt stock and look at the side of the upper tang, or remove the butt plate to find a serial number. That will help determine if the gun is in the original configuration as recorded in the factory records as it left the factory in New Haven, Ct. That will also make a differnce in value if it is not in it's original configuration.
Then, condition, condition, condition.......how much of the original factory finish remains on the wood and metal? That affects the overall value as well. How is the bore? To some, that will make a difference. Does it have the original sights? That makes a difference.
The best thing to do is post a picture of your Marlin Model 1888 here so someone can see the overall condition and the sights to see if things are as it left the factory.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Unclsu
Beginner

Post by Unclsu »

Thanks for the info. The serial number located behind the stock was 21802
Camera Roll-121 by aces2412, on Flickr

Camera Roll-122 by aces2412, on Flickr
Unclsu
Beginner

Post by Unclsu »

Camera Roll-126 by aces2412, on Flickr

Camera Roll-124 by aces2412, on Flickr
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Unclsu;

Well, it is not the worst Model 1888 I have ever seen, but it does have a few problems with it's overall condition. The good news is that it is as it left the factory. It was a 24 inch octagon barrel in .38-40 that was shipped late in 1888. The Model 1888 was made from August of 1888 to October of 1889 with around 4,800 guns listed in the factory records. Only 1,776 were listed in .38-40 and 4,312 are listed with a 24 inch barrel.
As to condition, there is almost no original factory finish remaining on the metal, so that will hurt the value quite a bit. The wood has a sliver missing around the upper tang, but the finish looks pretty good if it is the original varnish. The missing serial number is a problem, but the gun is still legal since there are other numbers, and it is an antique. Value, would be, for insurance purposes, and since this is a family piece that you would not want to sell, be in the $2,000.00 range (plus or minus a couple of hundred dollars depending on the number of Model 1888's available at the time). At one time, Cabela's had several Model 1888's available making lower condition guns less desirable, and lower their value in comparison. If there were no Model 1888's available, and someone really wanted one, then they might be willing to pay a little more just to have one.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Unclsu
Beginner

Post by Unclsu »

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Is it worth using gun oil and maybe some steal wool to clean the metal? Or will that damage it? I would sell it but I will need to read up on the gun laws here in MD. A LITTLE more liberal then my home state of LA. I have 2 girls so no one really to pass it down to.