Marlin 1894 25-20 question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

utvolsfan77
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1894 25-20 question

Post by utvolsfan77 »

I totally understand about the sentimental value, maybe even better than most due to my personal circumstances. Enjoy your upcoming reunion with your father's rifle. I'm sure once you have it in hand you'll be flooded with a lot of very precious memories you've probably forgotten about!
Hauptmann
Beginner

Post by Hauptmann »

Many thanks! I deeply appreciate that. The reunion has been a long long time coming. I'm going to spend a lot of time with her. It'll be kind of weird owning it myself as it's always been one of dad's guns. I guess in some ways it always will be. It's one of my favorites and I think it's very unique. Just hope I'm able to date it as that is something I've never known is when it was actually made and first used. Sure wish Marlin and some of the other companies were like Colt and has records going back to their early days. Sigh.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hauptmann;

Marlin records do exist. They exist from 1883 to December of 1906. The high serial numbers are in the 355,500 range, so if your father's rifle is below that, then we can give you some help.
I too chased a gun my father owned when I was in high school. I was very impressed with it, and thought is must be something special as it was a Marlin Double Action Revolver of 1887, fully engraved with mother of pearl grips, nickel plated with gold washed trigger guard, hammer and screws. He traded it off for a standard Model 1894 that was pretty nice, but I really liked the pistol and was quite upset when he traded it. I knew where it went, and knew the gentleman that had it. I often informed him when he was ready to sell it to let me know. Well, he did not, and many years later, looking at one of the large auction companies upcoming auction, I saw some other pieces I knew this gentleman owned, so I quickly continued the search and found my father's Double Action Revolver listed. Yes, I won the auction and did not care that I paid a premium at the time for it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Hauptmann
Beginner

Post by Hauptmann »

Wow! Sounds like an awesome pistol... would LOVE to see pics! SO glad you got it.

Soon as I can get a number off the old girl I'll let everyone know as the more I can find out about her the happier I'll be. :-)

God bless,

Dan