The evolution of mid 20th century 39As

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Brent
Sharpshooter

The evolution of mid 20th century 39As

Post by Brent »

I am looking at a rifle being sold on line that looks like a 1950s era rifle. The seller advertises it as a 39a, but the serial number is .22 cal Serial # 15272 . I feel that the number should start with a letter, but since it doesn't is this an early 39?

Also, I have forgotten when did the conversion from "ballard" rifling to microgroove take place? I believe it was in the mid 50s somewhere, but I can't recall exactly.

Actually, I am helping a friend find a 39a, rather than looking for myself. Personally, I prefer the early 1950s era rifles, and I don't really know about the quality of 1960s, 70s, and 80s rifles. I would love to hear about any generalizations about the quality of these newer rifles.

I am also reluctant to recommend microgroove rifles, but more from ignorance than some strongly held opinion. Does microgroove continue all the way up to current times?

Thanks for your time.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: The evolution of mid 20th century 39As

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brent;

The Micro-Groove rifling for the Model 39-A came in 1954.
The serial number of this gun you are referring to does not sound like a Model 39-A. Could it be a Model 39 that has had a 39-A barrel and forearm installed? I have seen this done in the past!
If I were looking for a Model 39-A for myself, it would have to be one of the early case-colored guns made before 1950, or any other 39-A that was made prior to about 1965. The fit and finish on those guns were much better than the later guns. I would not look at anything past 1984 when Marlin added the cross-bolt-safety.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Thank you. This is exactly the information I needed. I was thinking that the serial the one rifle was likely to be a 39, but switching barrels did not occur to me.

All of that information is perfect. Thanks again!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Don't eliminate Microgroove rifling for your friend! The 39a rifles I've owned with Microgroove rifling all shot as good as the earlier Ballard rifled guns did. I would personally choose to buy a pre crossbolt safety 39A, but Microgroove or not wouldn't stop my purchase. Of course I'd expect to pay a little more for one with Ballard rifling as they seem to get premiums.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!