Model 93 in 30-30

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

diesel700
Beginner

Model 93 in 30-30

Post by diesel700 »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I recently picked up a model 93. It's in good condition. The action is smooth and tight. Bore looks good as well. I'm not set up to reload for 30-30. I have dies for 308, 45-70, 5.56/223. And about 4 pistol calibers as well. I called marlin and got a date range of 1905 to 1917 from the s/n. This one intrigued me. No letter with the s/n and only 4 digits. 14xx. I was wondering if some of the more experienced members could help to narrow it down a little closer. And what store bought ammo would y'all recommended? I know cast lead just wondering if someone actually makes good cowboy ammo. The s/n is below the forearm. On the tang has model 93, not 1893. And there are no other marking next to Model 93. The octagon barrel has fire-arms, not firearms. No bullseye on tail cap.

Thanks. Diesel.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 93 in 30-30

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Diesel700;

Since is it is marked Model '93 and not Model 1893, it is a post 1921 gun. With the low serial number up near the forearm, quite early in 1921. If the serial number was under the lever, then a little later.
Is the barrel marked "Special Smokeless Steel"? If it is, then about any .30-30 ammunition is okay to use. If it is not, then stick with the lead bullets. Check with Buffalo Arms for cowboy ammo.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
diesel700
Beginner

Post by diesel700 »

Regnier (gunrunner) Thanks for the reply. It is marked Special smokeless steel. I tend to believe what you are saying more than what Marlin told me. I called them and they said 1905 to 1917. But being marked on the tang Model 93, and not 1893 I found that hard to believe.

Thanks again!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

diesel700 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:16 pm Regnier (gunrunner) Thanks for the reply. It is marked Special smokeless steel. I tend to believe what you are saying more than what Marlin told me. I called them and they said 1905 to 1917. But being marked on the tang Model 93, and not 1893 I found that hard to believe.

Thanks again!!
Whoever is answering historical questions at the present factory is often incorrect these days. I assume they're going by Bill Brophy's book without the benefit of personal knowledge of the older Marlins. Of course if they do that they'll see the change in nomenclature for the 1893 to '93 was indeed around 1905 in catalogs. But the actual stamp on the top tang didn't change to "Model '93" until well after WWI. And of course the prefix letters were used both before and after WWI, so as Regnier mentioned you have to note other features, plus the location of the serial number to truly date them correctly.
It takes more experience and a willingness to get it right, vs. get an answer quickly as the factory person is trying to do now. That never happened when Bill was alive and doing this service for the old company. And fortunately we have Regnier to get a great answer today.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!