Model 1893 Buttstock configuration

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

thomasrodco
Beginner

Model 1893 Buttstock configuration

Post by thomasrodco »

Hello, new member here.
I have a model 1893 38-55 rifle that was left to me by my late brother, and have a question about the butt stocks that were used in 1899.
The rifle is a 192,xxx serial, made Oct 14th, 1899 and has a pistol grip stock.
The buttstock is broken on it, and the butt plate missing. I'm pretty sure the plate that was on it was a rubber one.
My question is, would this rifle originally have come with a straight, flat buttplate, and not one of the curved metal plates?
The bottom of the stock is broke off where the lower plate screw would be, but the stock is obviously made for a totally flat plate.
I want to order a replacement stock and plate, but if this originally came with one of the stocks that have the wrap around, curved plate, I want to get the correct one.
The one on it is very, very old, but I'm guessing it still could be a replacement since every other one I've found on line has a curved plate.
thanks
thomasrodco
Beginner

Re: Model 1893 Buttstock configuration

Post by thomasrodco »

Here is my stock ImageImage
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your image doesn't show. But Marlin offered at least 3 buttplate styles in the 1893 Model at the time period mentioned. One was a crescent cast steel that was heavy, curved, and had a return on the top. Another was a stamped steel carbine style made from heavy plate. The third was a hard rubber flat buttplate that sounds like what yours had. They are black, and look like plastic, but over time they get a bit brownish in color.
Vintage Grips sells these hard rubber replicas cast in black plastic. You can find 1893 stocks from Precision Gun Stocks, but they'll need a little fitting.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
thomasrodco
Beginner

Post by thomasrodco »

Thanks for the info!
The photos worked in the preview but not after my post was “approved”.
I’ve contacted admins twice and get no response, unfortunately...
Sounds like my stock must be original with the hard rubber plate.
Thanks