1881 Marlin Questions

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Eighteenninetytwo
Beginner

1881 Marlin Questions

Post by Eighteenninetytwo »

I found a Marlin 1881 in 45 -70 in the LGS - covered in dust , back of the store, and seems to have been there for a few years judging by the ticket on it. I really like the thought of shooting one of these but have a couple of questions. I can see one serial number only it is 12*** and that dates the gun to 1886 according to the interwebs.

Question 1 - I read that the buttstock should show the serial number but its not visible - does that mean the buttstock or plate is possibly a replacement?
Question 2 - Can I shoot modern 45-70 ammo through it - I assume there is low pressure ammo available - or it is too dicey?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1881 Marlin Questions

Post by marlinman93 »

There are numerous places the 1881 were serialized and the buttstock is one. But the only way to see the serial number is to remove the stock as it's stamped in the relief area below the top tang. You'll also find it under the forearm on the barrel, and on the inside of the buttplate if it's a metal buttplate. The side of the upper tang will be serial numbered too.
I would only use modern ammo that is loaded with cast lead bullets, and is at pressures comparable to older black powder levels. Smokeless loads are fine in an 1881 if they are low pressure loads, at lower velocities. The action is only good to about 25,000 psi, and higher will result in possible failure.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Eighteenninetytwo
Beginner

Post by Eighteenninetytwo »

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I might ask them to remove the buttplate to check before shelling out the dollars and shall report back. it also seems like I duplicated the post - thought the first one hadn't worked. My apologies.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess if it all matches it justifies a high purchase price. But really if the price isn't bad the fact it might not be matching isn't critical. The only 1881 Marlins I've ever come across that weren't matching numbers were guns in minty or restored condition. Guns with some wear just don't seem to be candidates for serial number swapping. I've owned about 20 1881 Marlins over the years, and so far none with mismatching numbers.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!