Tang sight for 1881

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Eighteenninetytwo
Beginner

Tang sight for 1881

Post by Eighteenninetytwo »

Hi all
I recently acquired an 1881 in 45/70 (year of manufacture 1886). The rifling looks good enough that id like to fit a Tang sight to it to assist my aged eyes in shooting. Does anyone know what make / model of sight would fit to this rifle and look vaguely period correct (even if only a replica)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Tang sight for 1881

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Eighteenninetytwo;

The correct Lyman tang sight is the stamped "M" on the base. The correct Marbles tang sight is the one marked M7.
Any modern sight that could be mounted on a new Model 1895 should work for the Model 1881 if the sight mounting holes are the correct distance apart.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

MVA makes a tang sight designed to fit the Model 1893 that has the staff moved back to clear the bolt when cycling. It should also clear the 1881 bolt, and give you a very nice quality tang sight using the existing holes.
Be sure to tell them you want 9-40 screws if you order it. The 1881 and Ballard rifles used a 9-40 thread screw, where later Marlins used 8-40 screws. The 8-40 will work, but will be sloppy and could strip out of over tightened in an 1881 or Ballard.
The #132 has elevation adjustment via vernier screw, but no windage. The #130 has both windage and elevation adjustment via screw adjusters. These are mid range sights good for 500 yds., but they sell taller long range good for 1,000 yds. if you need that.
I have original Marlin Ballard sights on mine and shoot it out to 500 yds. with a midrange sight.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Eighteenninetytwo
Beginner

Post by Eighteenninetytwo »

Could you post a picture please of the tang sight close up with the bolt back? Maybe I am looking at using the wrong screw holes as the bolt comes back to behind the middle of the three screws on the tang , which is the rearmost of the two small screws I THOUGHT were there for fitting a sight.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Eighteenninetytwo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:59 pm Could you post a picture please of the tang sight close up with the bolt back? Maybe I am looking at using the wrong screw holes as the bolt comes back to behind the middle of the three screws on the tang , which is the rearmost of the two small screws I THOUGHT were there for fitting a sight.
Not sure a picture of my Marlin midrange sight will help much for you if you're considering the MVA that sits back farther on the base? The MVA #130 for Marlin 1893 has a different staff location than my original Marlin mid range vernier on my 1881.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!