calaber marking

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jacknife45
Beginner

calaber marking

Post by jacknife45 »

I have i belive an 1894 octogen barrel tube fed lever action marlin, It listes 4 patents on it, dated nov 19 1878, april 2 1889, aug 16 1890 and march 1 1892 serial number on bottom of the receiver#158565 , i have searched with a magnifing glass all over barrel and receiver, no calaber markings, the rear sight is stamped MARBLE'S Gladstone MICH usa. It has the straight grip. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: calaber marking

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jacknife45;

By the serial number, you have a Marlin Model 1892 in .32 Colt caliber that left the factory in New Haven, Ct. in early 1898. The Model 1892 in .32 Colt caliber used the short, long and long rifle cartridges in both center and rim fire configurations. The Model 1892 came from the factory with two firing pins, one for center fire cartridges and the other for rim fire cartridges. The firing pins were easily changed out by removing the side plate and then the breech bolt to remove and replace the firing pin.
The Marbles rear sight will not be original to the rifle. The model marking should be on the upper tang, behind the hammer. If the Marbles sight you refer to is a tang mounted peep sight, you would need to remove it to see the model marking.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.