Model 36

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MCA
Beginner

Model 36

Post by MCA »

My father-in-law has had this gun stored in his closet for years and I've never really taken a close look at it.

We just moved them in with us and as we were moving in he placed it on my bed for me to put away in my gun safe later. It was unloaded and we don't even have any 30-30 ammo in the house - but to keep little eyes from wandering to it he slipped it under the comforter. Well, my 9 year old must have some wonderful divining skills because for whatever reason he came flying through our room and to that area of the bed like a magnet. The stock is shattered in several places around the tang. The wood appears to be walnut - it is a dark wood through and through - not just a stain.

So one question is about the availability of old stocks - I didn't see any on gunbroker except for a pretty pricey reproduction stock and forearm set.

The other question is about any info I can find about the gun. The serial number under the lever is 221174 - the left side of the upper part of the tang (was hidden under the stock before breaking it) has the same number without the leading "2" so it just says 21174. The right side of the lower part of the tang is stamped "G" (also hidden under the stock).

The left hand side of the barrel reads:
Glenfield Products, New Haven, Conn, USA
Marlin Model 36_____________.30-.30 Cal.

The right hand side of the barrel has the JM in an oval stamp just in front of the ejector port.

It has a Weaver rail, rings, and 4x scope mounted on it as well.

No safety, and the barrel is round, about 20" from muzzle to breach.

Bluing is not too bad - probably 90% or so.

No checkering anywhere except the black "Marlin" marked hard material butt cap.

I've tried looking for serial numbers on line and I'm coming up empty - my google fu skills are weak I guess. ;)

The fact that it is stamped "Glenfield Products" and what looks like a plastic molded butt cap makes me wonder if this is a Montgomery Wards or Sears catalog gun from the 60's or 70's rather than a gun from the 30's or 40's.

That would make me feel better about my son busting up a "vintage" stock! ( I still need to repair it or replace it!)

TIA,
Mark
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Model 36

Post by chrifle »

the Glenfield model 36G was mfr'd 1964-5; later became the model 30... the serial number seems to indicate 1978 vintage? I didn't think Marlin used a different coding system for the Glenfields? someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but it definitely is not a rifle from the 30-40s. You should be able to find a replacement buttstock for under $50... just be patient and watch the auction sites. good luck!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mark;

Typically, the Glenfield products had a walnut stained birch stock instead of walnut. Another place to watch for stocks is eBay. They do show up there quite frequently. Usually, you can get a matched butt stock and forearm there as well. Just keep watching. One other place to check is Vintage Sporting Arms and Accessories at www.vintagesporting.com.
Chrifle is correct, the serial number indicates a 1978 vintage gun.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
MCA
Beginner

Post by MCA »

1978 sounds too recent based on how long my father-in-law has owned it. I think I may have solved the discrepancy in the serial number in two places on the rifle. That leading "2" in 221174 on the lower side of the receiver is actually a Z. If I punch Z into the internet serial number database it shows up as 1964 - that fits with chrifle's indication of the 64-65 manufacturing period - and that makes sense to the family recollection of how long it's been around.

Thanks! I'll start combing the usual auction sites for stocks. This one is very dark for birch - I'd be really surprised if that was the case - remember it's broken so I see the inside - not just the stain. If I find a model 36-whatever stock will any years work on it? Do I need to stick to 36's or would a 336 work as well?

Mark
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

A 336, 30, 39, 1895 and any other pistol grip stock for a Marlin levergun.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mark;

Yes, the Model 36G is an earlier gun, like you stated, and the "Z" serial number prefix is for 1964. Letters and numbers make a difference when deciphering serial numbers!
This is still a Glenfield product, and birch was the wood of preference for the Glenfield guns. It may be that a lower grade of walnut was used on this particular gun if that piece was not good enough for the first line Model 336.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
MCA
Beginner

Post by MCA »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Mark;

Yes, the Model 36G is an earlier gun, like you stated, and the "Z" serial number prefix is for 1964. Letters and numbers make a difference when deciphering serial numbers!
This is still a Glenfield product, and birch was the wood of preference for the Glenfield guns. It may be that a lower grade of walnut was used on this particular gun if that piece was not good enough for the first line Model 336.
That's the one then - the Z looks a lot like a 2 at first glance! There is nothing particularly stunning about this piece of walnut (in fact it's not terribly attractive) but it is pretty clearly walnut - so I'd guess your idea that it may be a piece not good enough for a 336 may be a good one.

Thanks for the help - I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap 336 or similar stock on ebay.

Mark