Sights

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dickaye
Marksman

Sights

Post by dickaye »

Hello,

Here's a question fpr the group. On my Ballard #4 there are standard and I assume custom sights. Looking in Brophy on page 138 there is listed "Rocky Mountain Rear Sight (Buckhorn)", "Beach Combination Front Sight" and "Marlins Improved Graduated Peep Sight." These three sights appear to be the ones that are on my gun. The caption in the middle of the page says, "Marlin sights used on Ballard rifle." So should I assume that Marlin manufactured all these sights or were they purchased from other manufacturers?

Thank you, Richard
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Sights

Post by marlinman93 »

Since there are examples of identical sights found on Remingtons, Savages, and a few minor gun makers, I've often wondered the same thing. Bridgeport Machine built sights for many gun makers, and some that I've seen in old catalogs look identical to the old buckhorn sights used on early Marlins, Ballards, and the others mentioned.
I suppose it's possible that Marlin made their sights and sold to others, but I'd be more inclined to think many makers (including Marlin) bought sights from Bridgeport and concentrated on building guns instead.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Terry B
Beginner

Post by Terry B »

Hi guys been awhile since i been to visit. Got a question I'm looking for a peep tang mounted sight for my #2 Marlin Balard rifle. I know there would be a hard time getting an original. I see there are a couple of places to get a good replica any sugestions. Thanks Terry
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Jeff's Outfitters used to carry a pretty nice vernier type sight for the Ballard spacing, and economical, but they've dropped them. I see some originals on Ebay, Gunbroker, and Auction Arms occasionally. Only other place I would reccommend is Lee Shaver, as his sights are good, and not too high priced. I think a Shaver midrange economy soule is still under $200.
You might contact Jeff and see if he's planning to get anymore in?
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.as ... egoryid=67
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!