JM Marlin Ballard Patent

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

hawkeye53bob
Beginner

JM Marlin Ballard Patent

Post by hawkeye53bob »

I was given this Marlin-Ballard lever rifle by my "Uncle John". It was his grandmothers deer rifle. It has a full octagon barrel of 29 inches, and sports a full length nickel plated scope. I am told that the caliber is .38-50 WCF. Serial number 12947. The gun is in 95% plus condition. Questions: Would that be a correct caliber and not .38-55? I see from the serial number that it was made in 1886, is that correct? What would I look for to see which model it would be?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: JM Marlin Ballard Patent

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a Marlin Ballard, but which model is tough to know without pictures. Also tough to know the date since you didn't mention if it's marked "JM Marlin" or "Marlin Firearms Co." My guess is the latter MFAC marking as the 12947 is possibly too high to be a JM Marlin marked Ballard.
The .38-50 was not a Winchester cartridge. If it's marked .38-50 it would likely be the .38-50 Ballard or .38-50 Remington Hepburn caliber. If the caliber isn't stamped on the top barrel flat above the receiver, that would indicate it's likely a JM Marlin Ballard, as MFAC Ballard rifles usually have the caliber stamped on them.
Any Ballard in 95% condition is a rare one, and valuable. The caliber would indicate it's one of the forged frame Ballard rifles, and that could be any number of models. If you post pictures I can tell you which it is. If you can't post pictures then you can email them to me, and I can tell you which model it is. Also let me know what the markings are on the left side of the receiver, and whether they are in 2 lines or 3 lines.
Send me a PM for my email address.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

Hawkeye,

Would really enjoy seeing photos of your Ballard Rifle.
MM93 knowledge of Ballards is hard to beat, he's a great resource!
Thanks
Darin
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Love it when people appear to want assistance, but when it's offered they simply disappear!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!