Help identifying Marlin Ballard rifle

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cogden
Beginner

Help identifying Marlin Ballard rifle

Post by cogden »

Howdy-

I have an old Marlin Ballard Single Shot rifle that I am trying to identify and value.. Looking around on this forum, I can safely say it is a Ballard single shot, but I am not clear on the various differences in models.

The rifle does not have any caliber stamping on it that is visible. The only stamping is the 3 lines on the side of the receiver, identifying it as a Marlin built under the Ballard patent.

Octagonal barrel, 30". Gun is in pretty good shape overall, action is smooth, bore looks pretty good. Stock is in pretty good shape, but is a little loose.

Photos can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cogden/?saved=1

I tried plugging the SN (12136) into a lookup wizard on Homestead Firearms, but it didn't give me any results.

Any insight into what model gun this is, and what it's approximate value is, would be greatly appreciated!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Help identifying Marlin Ballard rifle

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Cogden;

Your Ballard rifle has the appearance of a Number 2 Sporting Rifle. The Number 2 was made in several calibers; .32, .38 and .44 Extra Long Ballard and .44-40. Later is it was made in .32-20 caliber as well.
The Number 2 Sporting rifle is about the most common version around and available on the market. In the overall condition you rifle is in, it might be worth around $450.00 to $600.00 depending upon the bore and tightness of the action.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: Help identifying Marlin Ballard rifle

Post by Hunt4em »

Cogden,
With the reversible firing pin, your rifle is a #2 Sporting Rifle. Have you checked to see if the serial #'s match on the breach block and frame?
John