444 lever action question

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Randy

444 lever action question

Post by Randy »

Is it ok to fire 44 mag pistol ammo in the 444 marlin lever action?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Randy,

No. The geometry and dimensions are all wrong. One of the negative consequences is that the cartridge could possibly rupture. Some of the escaping hot gases could then make their way toward your face, and that is a condition to be avoided.

The 444 is one of my favorite rounds and can be shot with mild cast loads if the factory ammo is too stout for you. If you elect to shoot lead, look for cast bullet vendors and select the hardest alloy gas checked slugs you can find. These will shoot every bit as accurately as jacketed. SW
Chuck White
Beginner

Post by Chuck White »

I shoot 240 gr SWC's with gaschecks in my 444P.
They are surprisingly accurate!

The only concern I have is that when I chamber a round, the forward band of the bullet engages the rifling!
So far, I have not seen any sign's of high pressure!
Do any of you guys feel that this should be of concern?

edit: Looking at the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, it says to crimp on the forward edge of the first driving band! But as long as I'm not getting High-Pressure signs, I think I'll keep seating them in the crimping groove!
Opinions please!
Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC
D. Rankin
Beginner

Post by D. Rankin »

I had the same problem with 300 grain Barnes Originals.

If I chambered and tried to extract an unfired round the bullet would stick in the rifling and fill the action with powder.

I never saw high pressure signs either and only used loads from the manuals.

One note: I could never get the amount of powder in the case that max loads called for. At the time only Remington made brass so I could never figure out how the manual writers did it.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I use some stout loads from the Beartooth bullets site - loads of H322 that need to be compressed. So I seat with the RCBS seater and while I'm not a big fan of Lee dies, I use their so-called factory crimp die for this caliber only.

I found a heavy load using a 320 gr gas checked, hard cast bullet & H322 for over 2200 fps. A trifle hard on the shoulder but very accurate. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
jbtool
Beginner

the 444

Post by jbtool »

I have been thinking about getting a marlin 444 for the last year.
the reason is I want another lever action rifle and I want a rifle that I can take Elk hunting would you think this is a good choise? thanks for any replys jbtool
D. Rankin
Beginner

Post by D. Rankin »

I have shot at least a dozen..... maybe more critters with my 444, using soft point bullets.

I never recovered a bullet, even on deer shot "up the tailpipe" until I shot a large feral hog in Texas. The bullets, fired from about 75 yards, stayed in that big boy but just barely, lodging in the gristle shield on the far side.

The first shot dropped him in his tracks..... the guide said he had never seen a piggy that size go down that quick. The second shot just brought about a quicker end to the immobilized squealing.

On the same trip I connected with a Javilina at a measured 195 yards. It too just tipped over.

I think a 444 would make a crackerjack Elk rifle. I wouldn't be afraid to take one to africa with selected bullets.
Buster
Beginner

Re: 444 lever action question

Post by Buster »

I have a 1968 Marlin 444 that I purchased online from a gentleman on Marlin owners website. I was replacing one that was stolen from me in 1975. I had killed very large white tailed bucks using the old 444 round head bullets with great success. Shots ranging from 60 yrds. To a little over 100 yrds.
With the newly purchased 444 I've been target practicing with the Hornady 265 gr Lever Revolution cartridge. What a huge improvement to an already impressive rifle. No doubt in my mind that the 444 Marlin combined with the Hornady Lever Revolution amunition could take down any game animal in North America within 200 yrds. Or possibly more.
Hope this helps you make a disision.
Buster