manufacture date

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Iobjr
Beginner

manufacture date

Post by Iobjr »

Looking to buy an 1894c with serial number 99030059 and wondering how old is the gun?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: manufacture date

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Iobjr;

Subtract the first two digits from 100 to determine year of manufacture. i.e. 100 - 99 = 01 or 2001.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
bobinbusan
Beginner

Post by bobinbusan »

So my 1895GBL with SR# MR89***F would of been made in 2011, is this correct? 100-89=11?

Was told it was made in 6/2016, which is the correct year it was made?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Bobinbusan;

That serial number system does not work on the Remington made Marlin rifles. If someone told you it was made in 2016, I would probably believe them. I have not seen a Remington serial number system to be able to tell you how to decipher your serial number.
Sorry.......

bobinbusan
Beginner

Post by bobinbusan »

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know, will keep looking at how to date it and will post it after I find out on how to date it?
SGT_Strehle
Beginner

Post by SGT_Strehle »

From my understanding, the MR serial number refers to Remlin (aka: Remington/Marlin) production, which you likely already know. There were issues with the quality of the first few years of production using this serial number, so be wary. Initial production and quality control was terrible based on the complaints I've read from disgruntled owners on other sites. You will find other marks on the side of the barrel near the receiver to further confirm. You should see REM stamped somewhere on the barrel to confirm that it's a Remington/Marlin make.

So how do you date it? I take no credit for this, only passing along what a fellow Marlin enthusiast shared on the MarlinOwners.com website:

Check for yet another mark on the side of the barrel near the receiver. This time, look for 2 letters that decode as follows:

First letter = Month: B-Jan L-Feb A-Mar C-Apr K-May P-Jun O-Jul W-Aug D-Sep E-Oct R-Nov X-Dec
Second letter = Year: E-2010 F-2011 G-2012 H-2013 I-2014 J-2015 K-2016

FYI: The B representing January may look more like an R, and the I representing 2014 may look more like a number 1 due to impartial stamping.
bobinbusan
Beginner

Post by bobinbusan »

Thanks, from the informed you referred to me, it has a "PK" stamp on left side of the barrel just before the barrel screws into the receiver, so with the data code that you supplied, it shows to have been made in June 2016
Thanks again
bobinbusan
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

SGT_Strehele;

Thank you for passing this information on here. I have re-posted it in the General Gun Questions for all to find this information in an easy manner.