Big Bore Model 1889 missing magazine

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BillBlab
Beginner

Re: Big Bore Model 1889 missing magazine

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman93 - thanks again. After a lot of searching (and thanks to your friend Larry Osborn), I am only missing one part. The forearm tip. Will a forearm tip from any other models work on the Model 1893 - very early serial number as noted in my initial post. cheers, bill
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The forearm cap from an 1893 is the same as a forearm cap from a model 1894, or model 1889 if either are in .38-40 or .44-40. The smaller calibers of .25-20 and .32-20 have smaller mag tube holes, so require the hole to be opened up to work.

Here's one on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlin-1893-Mo ... SwS89d3aN4
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman93. Good progress after a break and going to our beach condo in Delaware. I have the forearm, spring, spring cap and follower. Larry Osborn is sending me the remaining parts for the magazine. All that is left is the tube from the company up in NY.
I successfully reassembled the bolt. Thanks!!!!
Hopefully I have made enough notes so that reassembly of the entire rifle is within my capabilities as a novice. I'll let you know.
I sanded down the stock and the replacement forearm to bare walnut. I will refinish it with varnish which was the original Marlin finish. Both were in pretty sad shape. The stock had oil and water damage and the forearm from E-Bay was just terribly grungy with oil. Some acetone and soap and water helped get the oil out. After a couple of treatments of that, they look pretty good. With some TLC and satin varnish, they will be great. :-)
Thanks again cheers, bill
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The nice thing about the early Marlins is it's impossible to assemble them wrong and get the gun together! So if it wont go together something is in backwards. If there aren't any extra parts leftover, it's all correct, and should function. Once you've got yours back together you'll soon be able to tear it down and reassemble it blindfolded, in minutes! One of the least complicated lever action rifle designs made.
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman93. Good progress. I had my local gunsmith take the bolt apart. Those pins had been in there probably since 1894 - date of manufacture.
I did not have the tools or expertise to try and remove them. I was able to get the extractor back in place on my own but the other two beat me. I cannot see well enough to align the little ovals with the pin holes so the gunsmith put it back together for me. The firing pin had a slight curve in it and he fixed that. Everything is back together. I traded him about a 1/2 can of Kroil for his work. :-)
The barrel was just horrible. After continuous days of repeated cleaning, it is finally clear of everything and the pads come out clean. :-) The rifling looks just fine.
The only part left is the magazine tube. It has been shipped. Upon receipt I will get the gunsmith to fit and install it.
Thanks again for all the assistance. cheers, bill.
PS - can you post photos on this site? I would like everyone to see the Marlin 1893 upon completion of the restoration.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Go to the section titled "No longer guest questions" and the top post there tells how to post images here.
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman 93. The Marlin Model 1893 is cleaned and back together. You were correct, it is actually a pretty simple rifle. A little patience, simple logic and some fiddling and everything works just fine. That main spring is STRONG!! But it finally went into place.
Thank you so much for your support. Once I get the magazine tube and finish the walnut, I will send you a photo. cheers, bill.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

A little trick on the mainspring to make it easier to assemble. I don't fully tighten the screw down when assembling it on the lower tang. Leave it just loose enough to allow it to swing sideways. Assemble the lower tang complete with spring, and leave the spring off slightly to the left side as you put the lower tang on the receiver. Once it's in place, and all screws tight, hold the trigger back, and lower the hammer all the way. Then compress the spring alongside the hammer and swing it under the hammer to line it up.
This makes it easier to assemble, and it saves wear and tear on yourself too. Do the reverse when disassembling by swinging the mainspring out to the left first to relieve pressure, and then proceed with disassembly.
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Great tip. Thank you very much, cheers, bill
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman93 - I've been reading that there are perhaps some issues with the bore size on the Marlin 1893. Do you have any advice/recommendations for modern ammo that should be used with this rifle??? Thanks, Bill.
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman93. I purchased some 38-55 dummy rounds and the lever action loading, extraction and ejection all works perfectly. I guess that is what a lot of cleaning and old rust removal can do for someone!!! :-)

I cannot thank you enough for all of your assistance in rebuilding this Marlin 1893. Now all I need is the magazine tube and we will have a fully functioning classic rifle.

cheers, bill
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Have you contacted Randy Redmond at Redmond's Liners? He sells mag tubes, and has custom lengths. He wont have the end plug, spring, etc., but at least has the outer tube. Did you ask Larry about mag tubes, or parts for them?
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Larry had the missing plugs and screw parts. I'm waiting on the tube from Numrich. They are about 1 month behind in filling orders as a result of the virus.
cheers, bill