Marlin Model 90 "Skeet Special"

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90 "Skeet Special"

Post by BarkeyVA »

A 12 ga. Marlin Model 90 just sold on Gunrunner Auctions. It is a very early model with the first generation forearm and the top lever is attached to the frame with an exposed flathead screw. Very nice wood similar in quality of a Skeetking and all of the serial numbers match. It has Marlin skeet special stamped on the right side of the frame. I bid on it but it went for more than I was willing to spend.

Just curious if anyone on this forum has seen or heard of a Model 90 Skeet Special.
http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listin ... 1057768847
BarkeyVA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 90 "Skeet Special"

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BarkeyVA;

I will be seeing our friend from Wisconsin this weekend (Annual Meeting and Show of the MFCA in K.C.). If I remember to, I will ask him about this. I do not know if he knew about this gun or not, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: I will be seeing our friend from Wisconsin this weekend (Annual Meeting and Show of the MFCA in K.C.). If I remember to, I will ask him about this. I do not know if he knew about this gun or not, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say.
I did talk to our friend about it early on before I had confirmed that the forearm wood, which looked to me like the same quality wood as the stock, was stamped with the serial number and that the top lever was attached with an exposed screw. It will be interesting to see if he has any more thoughts about it.

The gun was advertised as being choked SK/SK but according to the auctioneer, the barrels were not marked. Some of my pre-WWII Model 90's do have the chokes stamped on the left side of the barrels close to the frame but the forearm has to be removed to see them.

I had hoped to be able to attend the MFCA in KC this year, but it just didn't work out. Maybe next year. Hope you have a great get together in KC. I always look forward to getting the following issue of the Marlin Collector with all of the pictures taken at the meeting and show. Harvey does a great job with it. I grew up on a farm about 25 miles south of Springfield, IL and still have family in that area, but have never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Barry
BarkeyVA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Barry;

Start making plans for next years meeting. We have accepted an invitation from the Ohio Gun Collectors Association to attend one of their bi-monthly meetings. We will hold our Annual Meeting and Show at the October (without checking, I believe the dates are the 18th & 19th) meeting in Cleveland at the IX Center. We will have more information later.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Thanks for the advance notice. Looking forward to next October!
BarkeyVA