Rev O Noc Marlin model 19??????

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Meridian_Mike
Beginner

Rev O Noc Marlin model 19??????

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hello Everyone.
I just got a Rev O Noc pump, external hammer shotgun. I have no idea of the year of manufacture but the serial number is prefixed with an "A" and then has only 4 numbers.
I have searched all over the web and I can't find any information indicating the year of manufacture OR if it is a model 19, model 19G, model 19S or even another model all together......
Anyway, I am getting so frustrated trying to find out info on this shotgun. I think it is a really cool shotgun but I want to research it before I try to clean it up.
Can anybody throw me a bone?
What have I got?

Mike

(Thanks for your help in advance!!!)

:?
Meridian_Mike
Beginner

Re: Rev O Noc Marlin model 19??????

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a couple of pics:
[img]<iframe%20width="480"%20height="360"%20src="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Missi ... "></iframe>[/img]

[img]<a%20href="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Missi ... .jpg"/></a>[/img]

I hope these turn out

Mike
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Meridian_Mike;

The Rev-O-Noc shotgun was made by Marlin for the Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett hardware company of Chicago, Illinois. I cannot tell from your photos which model was used as I really need to see an overall view of both sides (mostly complete action from front end of the forearm to just behind the wrist area). I can tell that it has the early style "hang fire safety release" system and the early style takedown system. Both of which can be found on the Model 19 (and others).
One other thing, are there any patent dates listed on the barrel? If so, it might help identify which model Marlin used for the Rev-O-Noc in this case.
Looking forward to a couple of more pictures......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Meridian_Mike
Beginner

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a few more pics. The barrel had no other information stamped on it. Is there somewhere on the inside I can find other numbers or info stamped?

Are these pics any help?

Mike
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mike;

The pictures do help a little. The wood is checkered like a Marlin "B" Grade shotgun. I suspect this to be unusual for any of the private brand guns Marlin provided to the hardware companies that marketed them. The locking screw on the forearm attaching screws is a later device not found on many of the earlier model shotguns. So, with the early style push button "hang fire safety release" system, and the early style takedown system. this shotgun is a later Model 19.
The Model 19 was the last pistol grip style shotgun to use the early style takedown system. The Model 24 that followed (as a pistol grip gun) utilized a newer style takedown system, different than the earlier models, 1898, Model 16, 19 and 21.
The "A" prefix and four digit serial number is something that did not come into use until 1916 by either the Marlin Arms Corporation or the Marlin-Rockwell Corporation. I do know that there were contracts with Marlin as late as January of 1915, just before the sale of the company to the Marlin Arms Corporation. Part of the deal may have been to finish out any existing contracts with long time Marlin customers.
For now, that may be as close to an answer as can be provided. I hope this helps.

Meridian_Mike
Beginner

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks so much for the insight Gunrunner!
SO, in summary I have a "B" grade later model 19 that was made sometime around the 1916 to 1917 time period. Correct?

Is there any documentation that gives dates for the manufacture of the model 19?
I am just wondering when the earliest and latest models were made.

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mike;

The Marlin Model 19 was listed in the catalogs from 1906 to 1907. BUT, from known, existing serial numbers, it appears that there were Model 19's made much later. There are instances of Model 19's with serial numbers that should have been made around 1911. What explains this, I do not know. Why Marlin would not continue to advertise the Model 19 in the catalog if they were still making the gun really does not make sense. We know the Model 24 that replaced the Model 19 came out around 1908, and was an improvement over the Model 19. It may be that Marlin offered the Model 19 to distributors (in competition to the private brand guns) at a lesser price to help sales of Marlin shotguns when the market could not sell the Model 24 at a higher price. For now, we just do not know. It is like all the different Model 19 designations, (i.e. 19, 19D, 19N, 19G, etc.) we do not know all the reasons for the differences in those versions or when they were made.
I have been studying the Marlin shotguns for a while, the Model 19 is a real question mark in my opinion. Only advertised in catalogs for two years, but continued in production much later. The private brand guns, like the National and Rev-O-Noc appear to mostly been Model 19's (although there were some straight grip guns made based on the Model 21 that was only listed two years as well) so that may be why Marlin continued to make the Model 19.
Now you know what I know....