Beginner

Help Identifying Shotguns

Post by Marlinman »

I recently purchased two early Marlin shotguns:

Model 1898 (serial number 39058)
Model 16 (serial number 116911)

Does anyone have factory info on these?

Thank you.

Also, the 1898 has a chipped butt plate, any ideas on where to get an original replacement?

Mark
Marlin Model 1881 through Model '97 Collector
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Help Identifying Shotguns

Post by Wishbone »

Greetings,
www.vintagegungrips.com has repo buttplates for Marlins. IDK if the will fit your particular model or not, but it is worth a look. I think you will be able to make one work. They list the dimensions of their plates, so that will help.
As far as an original, you can watch ebay for a very long time and MAYBE find one. But you have to remember you are looking for a part that was fragile to begin with, thus easily damaged. Those models have not been produced in over 100 years, so I think your best bet is a quality repo, which Vintage Gun Grips makes. Some minor fitting will be necessary, but that is no big deal.

Good luck -

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Help Identifying Shotguns

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mark;

Even if you were to find an original, it probably would not fit your stock. The butt plates were in place when the butt stock was finish sanded to size and ready for finish. And, since it was all pretty much hand work then, old, hard rubber butt plates seldom interchange as it is nearly impossible to make things the exact same size and shape each and every time. Same for steel butt plates, which is why they were serial numbered to the gun and stock.
If the butt plate is only chipped, it is an easy repair using epoxy putty. Add the epoxy putty to the damaged area and shape correctly. Then take black Fusion paint and paint the entire butt plate. After it has dried completely, take fine steel wool and buff lightly until it takes on the correct look (it should have a slight dull look to it). Just be careful not to take too much paint off. If done properly, you cannot tell the butt plate was ever damaged. I have done a number of butt plates for myself and a few for others and each looks original when done.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.