Can someone let us know what each of these shotguns are worth?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Marlinman
Beginner

Can someone let us know what each of these shotguns are worth?

Post by Marlinman »

I know there are a lot of "value" books out there, but most are not accurate. I was wondering if someone that collects Marlin shotguns could fill in the values for "C" and "D" grades below:

Assume high-condition (like a 85%+ gun):

Model 1898 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 16 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 17 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 19 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 21 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 24 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 24 Slide Action Shotgun Trap
Model 26 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 28 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 30 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 30 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 31 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 31 Slide Action Shotgun
Model 410 Lever Action Shotgun

I'm new to shotguns (I know the lever action pre-model 1897 pretty well, but have no idea on shotguns.

Thank you.
Marlin Model 1881 through Model '97 Collector
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Can someone let us know what each of these shotguns are worth?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mark;

First, there are some of those models that were made only in one grade. The Model 17 was made as either a riot gun, brush gun or the standard A grade gun. Same with the Model 26.
The lever action .410 was pretty much a standard gun and none were engraved. There are some that have deluxe, checkered wood, but they are very rare, and have been faked, so beware.
Then there is the difference in production of some models. The Model 21 was in the catalogs only a couple of years, and they are seldom seen. Especially in either the C or D grades.
The Model 19 was only in the catalogs a couple of years too (1906, 1907), but observed serial numbers indicate that it was made up to and including 1916. There seem to be quite a few C grade Model 19's available, but not so many D grade guns.
The Trap Gun was not offered as a C or D grade gun as it was a special gun by itself. They were straight grip, checkered Circassian Walnut stocked guns with a Special Smokeless Steel barrel.
The Model 24 is a little more common in the C and D grade guns.
A basic average price for any of the C and D grade guns, exposed hammer shotguns will be in the $2,000.00 to $6,000.00 depending on the model and the overall condition. Some at auction have brought more, much more and some less.
I have not seen all that many of the hammerless shotguns to give you a figure on them as I have little or no interest in them. They just do not appeal to me and so I kinda ignore them.
I hope this helps a little.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.