Marlin model 12 manufacturer date

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Kurt
Beginner

Marlin model 12 manufacturer date

Post by Kurt »

I have a old marlin model 12 shotgun with a seriel number of 38885 and was wondering if anyone had a idea of what the date of manufacture would be. Thanks in advance
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin model 12 manufacturer date

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kurt;

Marlin did not make a Model 12 shotgun. The serial number you provided shows as a Marlin Model 1898, "C" Grade shotgun shipped in late 1902.
The "C" Grade shotgun will have an engraved receiver, a Special Smokeless Steel barrel and checkered, fancy walnut stocks. If this does not describe your shotgun, then you have something else and would need more information to be of help.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Kurt
Beginner

Post by Kurt »

Thankyou for the info. I wasn't sure if it was a model 12 or not. It does have some fancy engraving on it. I need to figure out what pieces I need to get it back together then get it reblued.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kurt;

You can check out the photos on the first post of this section (SHOTGUNS) to see photos of the interior of the shotgun. The photos of the gun used there is a later gun that has a different "Hang Fire Safety Release" that on your Model 1898. Or, you can go to Numrich Gun Parts Corporation's website (www.gunpartscorp.com) and look for a parts diagram there. Missing parts for the Model 1898 are hard to find, but they do show up on eBay from time to time. Right now, there are a couple of the "Hang Fire Safety" release recoil safety release blocks there. One does not have the spring, so do not buy that one. This is the part that the spring breaks quite often. The other part to look for that makes a big difference in operation is the secondary safety sear. The spring on it breaks often also.
If the gun is original, and has any original finish remaining, it will lose collector value if you reblue it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.